Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snepdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am registered to take a nitrox class next week. My question is, Is it commom practice for the LDS to REQUIRE you to purchase an oxygen analyzer in order to complete the cert? Is this just a way to up sell gear? Everywhere I have been that does nitrox fills requires you to test your gas right there after the fill with their tester. Do I need one of my own to be certified? Lots of questions, I know. I will stop my short rant.

I did not know what sub-forum to use for this question so if it needs to be moved so be it.

I have not seen any place I have dealt with require you to purchase one. One is always available anywhere you get a Nitrox fill. Some are easier to calibrate and use than others. Just make sure it is calibrated correctly so you get an accurate reading.

Can't speak for other agencies, but PADI does not require the "OWNERSHIP" of an O2 analyzer.

PADI requires that the student analyze a tank and record the proper information on the Nitrox fill log.

If the dive shop is requiring you to purchase an O2 analyzer, you should seriously consider taking your Nitrox class elsewhere.

the K

snepdiver:
I am registered to take a nitrox class next week. My question is, Is it commom practice for the LDS to REQUIRE you to purchase an oxygen analyzer in order to complete the cert? Is this just a way to up sell gear? Everywhere I have been that does nitrox fills requires you to test your gas right there after the fill with their tester. Do I need one of my own to be certified? Lots of questions, I know. I will stop my short rant.

I did not know what sub-forum to use for this question so if it needs to be moved so be it.

Sounds like you've got a crafty LDS there...

E:)

Never heard of a shop requiring you own an analyzer. My buddy and I have one, but we blend our own mixes. Every shop I've been to that sells nitrox has had an analyzer for customers to use.

Thanks to all. That is what I thought. I just wanted to know what everyone else had encountered. See ya at Vortoberfest Mr. K.

snepdiver:

Find another LDS, I know some may suggest you buy your own but I have never heard of it being required for a course, not under NAUI....

I was called by my LDS last week about a class on the 9th, they only required me to go up there, pay for the class and read the book. If I want to do the dives or mock, either way is fine.

Like others, find a LDS that doesn't trry to sell you extra.

Michael

Sounds like a shameless ploy to extort a bit more money. Ask them where it says you have to in the agency course requirements and file a complaint with the agency if they can't.

Just out of curiosity, do they require you to have an analyzer for the class, or to buy one from them? Not that you should have to do either, but the latter would be particularly nefarious. Like any other piece of dive gear, analyzers are a matter of taste, and there are good ones and bad ones so you really don't want to buy one until you've used a few and gotten a feel for what you like. Which is one of the things one would normally expect to do during the course!

Back
Top Bottom