Nitrox needed for wreck dives in this area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XJae:
I don't know about that genesis reg.
Actually I thought it was the diverite one before i looked it up.

Interesting how the manufacturer doesn't list it as useable for nitrox, probably a liability thing,
but some of the on-line dealers added to their site that it is useable to 40%.

I do know that most regs can be serviced to handle nitrox, and 100% o2 in some cases, by using the appropriate service kit. (O-rings and grease).

I suppose you're best bet would be to ask an authorized service tech, or maybe someone here on the board will chime in.
Yes, you can use standard service Regulators with up to 40%. I recommend O/2 Clean (O/2 Service) to clients but have been accused of just trying to make more money, but please keep in mind that it is We the Blenders that deal with the 100% 0/2 and with more than just our personal Regs, and therefore helps create my personal opinion!! I have seen the break down of standard orings that have been used excessivley with Nitrox, and it has been sworn(more than a time or two) that there was never a blend higher than 40% used in said regulators.(Yea Right, maybe they just didn't want to spend the money for the saftey??) The Viton Oring is made for it, and just in case you you want to use a higher % Blend, you can. Any one else ever seen what some of these Orings look like with O/2 abuse??

clearwater,

Thanks, but I'm confused by your response--are you recommending that GS2000 should be 02 cleaned for any Nitrox use, or only for blends greater than 40%?

clearwaterdivers:
Yes, you can use standard service Regulators with up to 40%. I recommend O/2 Clean (O/2 Service) to clients but have been accused of just trying to make more money, but please keep in mind that it is We the Blenders that deal with the 100% 0/2 and with more than just our personal Regs, and therefore helps create my personal opinion!! I have seen the break down of standard orings that have been used excessivley with Nitrox, and it has been sworn(more than a time or two) that there was never a blend higher than 40% used in said regulators.(Yea Right, maybe they just didn't want to spend the money for the saftey??) The Viton Oring is made for it, and just in case you you want to use a higher % Blend, you can. Any one else ever seen what some of these Orings look like with O/2 abuse??

junko:
clearwater,

Thanks, but I'm confused by your response--are you recommending that GS2000 should be 02 cleaned for any Nitrox use, or only for blends greater than 40%?

If you are unsure, get the O/2 service and then there is no question. After wards, you can use it for what ever blend you want. Sorry on the confusion?

I'd consider getting an analyzer at some point though. The analyzer doesn't need to be replaced, just the sensor (about $60).

Also wouldn't a personal one last much longer since it's not being used as much? At the shop they get used for every fill. The reason I'm thinking of getting one is I often find myself cheaping out and getting air if I know I'll only be doing a dive or two, or just doing a shallow shore dive.

So in my case it would get used, at best once or twice a week to figure out what sort of funky mix I have after topping off with air.

I will never be using it with anything greater than 36%--so O2 cleaning is unnecessary, correct?

clearwaterdivers:
If you are unsure, get the O/2 service and then there is no question. After wards, you can use it for what ever blend you want. Sorry on the confusion?

Thanks for the info--won't shops refuse to fill a tank marked
for EANx with regular air though? (I thought that was the case)

grunzster:
I'd consider getting an analyzer at some point though. The analyzer doesn't need to be replaced, just the sensor (about $60).

Also wouldn't a personal one last much longer since it's not being used as much? At the shop they get used for every fill. The reason I'm thinking of getting one is I often find myself cheaping out and getting air if I know I'll only be doing a dive or two, or just doing a shallow shore dive.

So in my case it would get used, at best once or twice a week to figure out what sort of funky mix I have after topping off with air.

You can fill it with air as long as it's clean/filtered air. Some shops charge a little more for EANx compatible air than a regular air fill. Other shops have their entire fill station run through the filters.

junko:
clearwater,

I STRONGLY recommend any reg that will be used for nitrox servicxe to be dedicated to use with Nitrox or Oxygen compatible air..

Hydrocarbons from "dirty" gas will deposit on the parts and orings , although they may not "ignite" partial combustion is an eventual outcome..

In lower concentrations Silicon and Burna-n do work to some extent.. a fire needs several factors.. mainly fuel and a source of ignition.. Heat is a source and rapidly pressurizing can generate this..

Burna-n o rings DO NOT hold up well in an oxygen rich enviroment, the degrade very quickly(usually become brittle and begin to loose pieces), for an ACTIVE diver using the wrong o rings they probably need an overhaul within 6 months.. Static o rings hold up much better than those that are used for dynamic seals.

Just because the wrong material is used and it doesn;t combust doesnt mean it should be used, eventually the odds will go against you..
I have a perfect example.. One of my o-rings (face of din reg) was replaced with a burna-n (unkown to me) instead of viton (this is a static seal) so its the least likely to have a problem. This was my oxygen reg on my rebreather.. I used it for several months without ANY issues.. I always pressureze regs very slowly, I loaded my CCR to another instructor and his students FIRST use, the oring burned up and blackened the reg and valve.. What was the difference?? the student turned on the valve like MOST divers.. just opened it without first cracking it to SLOWLY pressureize the reg..

There is a good reason NASA, CGA, HSE and others treat ALL gases with more than 21-24% (depends on agency)as OXYGEN.. this risk of combustion whether partial or complete is elevated..

In Many contries tha BS of this 40% rule is just that.. The US diving industry is full of it.. In many countires Nitrox MUST BY LAW be handled as oxygen.

If the manufacture says the reg is not suitable for Nitrox, it may be as simple as cleaning and replacing the O-rings.. but it quite possibly be the HP seat.. SImply cleaning this wount do.. Speak to someone who is an AUTHORIZED technician for that regulator he/she probably knows what is necessary for conversion..

I have seen MANY regs that were never exposed to more than 32%, and the insides showed the tell tale signes of partial combustion..

My shows poilicy is to only fill tanks with Nitrox that are labeled for oxygen service.. I have both banked gases and do PP blending but make No distinction.

junko:
thanks--actually I'm sure I would like to start using Nitrox on at least some dives for the extra safety margin. The main sticking point is the idea of having to dedicate a tank(s) to Nitrox--I feel like I will not have a choice to dive air anymore, even on a shallow dive where an expensive Nitrox fill isn't very useful. I guess sometimes there's no free lunch :06:
Most shops around here that fill Nitrox will have no problem filling your Nitrox clean tanks with air. Its only if you fill them with a lower grade of air that it would require your tanks (and regulators as well) to be re-cleaned for nitrox use.

junko:
I will never be using it with anything greater than 36%--so O2 cleaning is unnecessary, correct?

Correct as far as I know. But there is still there is still the reccomendation of getting O2 Service. George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom