Nitrox needed for wreck dives in this area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to decide whether its worth spending the money on the nitrox cert and whether I would really need to use nitrox that much. For recreational wreck diving in the northeast, is nitrox considered the norm or do a lot of people use air? thanks

The info you'll learn in your nitrox class will teach you a lot about actual physiology in repect to high partial pressures of oxygen. It's worthwhile even if you're not sure you'll want to dive nitrox.

That being said however, a lot of people only dive nitrox.

So yes... the money for the class is definately worth it providing it's with a decent instructor. whether you feel the expense of nitrox itself is worth it; that's a decision you can make for yourself after the class.

Spectre is absolutly right. Take a class. Learn objectivly what it's all about and then make an educated descision for yourself.

Having said that... there are many great wrecks in this area that are at the deeper recreational ranges 80-130fsw. If you are diving Nitrox you can extend your bottom time quite a bit. Which is nice when you are paying 70$-100$ for the boat ride.

thanks--actually I'm sure I would like to start using Nitrox on at least some dives for the extra safety margin. The main sticking point is the idea of having to dedicate a tank(s) to Nitrox--I feel like I will not have a choice to dive air anymore, even on a shallow dive where an expensive Nitrox fill isn't very useful. I guess sometimes there's no free lunch :06:

It depends where you are getting your nitrox. If you have a shop that partial pressure fills [using 100% o2 then cut with air to your desired nitrox mix], then you'll want o2 clean tanks. However if they only do banked fills [e.g. your tanks never see more than 40% O2 at any point in the filling process] you may not need o2 clean tanks.

However some shops want o2 clean tanks for banked nitrox too [don't ask... no real good excuse..er..reason].

BUT

Here's the key part. If your shop does partial pressure fills, and therefore need you to have o2 clean tanks, then the air they top with is hyperfiltered [nutshell version, think 21% o2 vs 20.9%, with that .1% trace gasses filtered out]. That means they can put that air in your tanks without the 100% oxygen; and not contaminate your tanks.

So long story short... once you clean your tanks, you can still dive 'air', but you get EAN21 ['clean air'] vs. air.

Spectre:
Here's the key part. If your shop does partial pressure fills, and therefore need you to have o2 clean tanks, then the air they top with is hyperfiltered [nutshell version, think 21% o2 vs 20.9%, with that .1% trace gasses filtered out]. That means they can put that air in your tanks without the 100% oxygen; and not contaminate your tanks.

Sort of. I realize it was the nutshell version but modified grade E (hyporfiltered has a strictor spec for hydrocarbons but you won't get any more O2. All the trace gasses are still there.

Spectre:
<dope slap> Yea... what he said.
You seem to be worried about the dedication of your tank as though it is the only one you own. Break down and buy a tank at a time and dedicate some tanks
to Nitrox diving! Funny how some Shops are worried about the contamination of putting air only in a Nitrox/02 cleaned tank when its the same air they mix with?? My Grade E Modified is the same whether mixed or not. My fear is that the diver may forget that it is air and use it as Nitrox. Duh! Right. Sometimes it doesnt matter how its marked, but is blamed as just being a Fluke and most operators dont want to labeled as a Fluke!! I dont know how much you dive or how old you are, but at 46 and putting in 36 dives last week during a kids camp and the 16 that I put in over the last weekend during an Advanced class/Nitox class Camping Weekend, I continue to adore what Nitrox does for me and as far as Fun Dives, give me the extension of bottom time anyday!! Sorry, this was meant to directed to Junko

junko:
Also--what exactly does one do on the Nitrox checkout dives anyway?
Believe it or not, some places dont even require the dives anymore!! Some dive the higher O2 mixes for different reasons. Some for the extended bottom time and others for the cushion or comfort zone it gives them due to age, weight or maybe due to past injury or surgeries which can creatively add to your ability to recieve a case of the bends. I like to see divers get into the extended bottom time and have them compare Air Time to Nitrox Time and be there for them duing the transition of depending on the mix and getting through that tad portion of fear that some have on trusting the said Mix as they see that if they were on air that they would be in decompression but come up safely with no problems. I wear an Air computer next to any Nitrox Computers that are used and try to show a comparrison of the two. Otherwise, your just going diving. It definately has its advantages.

Back
Top Bottom