NITROX Membrane systems recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ediverudt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at installing a membrane on my Bauer K18 (6000 psi 21 CFM 5 stage)
After looking around it looks like there are a few people that make something like this.
What I am looking to do is a portable compressor on a trailer so all of the air storage systems seem a little to impractical sense my system will be set up to do hot fills on 10 80cf tanks at the same time.

I am looking for people that have any good ideas for setting up a membrane for a portable system and anyone that has a good alternative for the 220 V heaters used on most of these systems.

Obviously I could uses a generator for the 220 and run a 220 low pressure compressor to feed the membrane as well. Has anyone done this and how well dose it work?

Are you planning on building your own system or are you looking to purchase a system?
I won't waste your time with a recommendation if it is the former.

Craig

I am looking at installing a membrane on my Bauer K18 (6000 psi 21 CFM 5 stage)
After looking around it looks like there are a few people that make something like this.
What I am looking to do is a portable compressor on a trailer so all of the air storage systems seem a little to impractical sense my system will be set up to do hot fills on 10 80cf tanks at the same time.

I am looking for people that have any good ideas for setting up a membrane for a portable system and anyone that has a good alternative for the 220 V heaters used on most of these systems.

Obviously I could uses a generator for the 220 and run a 220 low pressure compressor to feed the membrane as well. Has anyone done this and how well dose it work?

It seems that you want to use a portable mambrane system to feed other compressors as well as your K-18, or is your K-18 a portable unit?
The LP comressor you will require would have to have an output of 45cfm @ 175psi to feed your large HP compressor, so if you plan on using a generator to drive this you would require a 25KVA, 3 phase unit at mimimum just for the compressor.

I use to sell membrane systems for Undersea Breathing Systems but later switched over to Nuvair due to better delivery and responce times. I don't know if Bill at USB has sorted out his difficulties he was having, I wish him the best.

Anyway back to the membrane system, If you plan on doing alot of Nitrox then yes plan on a membrane but if it is just from time to time say less then 40 tanks a week then I would recommend using a continious blending system, the startup is going to be alot cheaper for you.

If you do decide to get a membrane system you really shoud get an electric unit and bank the gas then use a booster to charge the tanks while on at the dive site.
You can also mimimize the startup cost by getting a larger air bank and using the stored HP air to feed the membrane, that's what I do.
ZDD
ZDD

My LP compressor makes 45 cfm@175 PSI and it barely makes 36% to feed a 5406 Mako at 13 CFM. That K18 is a beast and will need a tremendous amount of LP air. I would size a 20 hP screw for that job. If you want to trailer mount the whole thing, plan on a 30 kw genset for enough power for the whole portable installation. If you're gonna think big, stand by to open the old wallet.

A portable diesel powered unit is gonna hit your wallet HARD (about $28k) but, you should be able to get about 37-38%.

Attachments

• LP500.gif
    LP500.gif
    80.9 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
My LP compressor makes 45 cfm@175 PSI and it barely makes 36% to feed a 5406 Mako at 13 CFM. That K18 is a beast and will need a tremendous amount of LP air. I would size a 20 hP screw for that job. If you want to trailer mount the whole thing, plan on a 30 kw genset for enough power for the whole portable installation. If you're gonna think big, stand by to open the old wallet.

Wookie, I think that you may have another issue going on if you have 45cfm @175-psi of LP air available for your membrane. Assuming everything is sized right for your system you will be loosing aprox. 25% of the feed air as nitrogen which should leave you with just under 34cfm available for your 13cfm hp compressor.
When sizing a LP compressor for a system I would always double the cfm requirment for the HP unit and add a little more.
The unit that you have should have 2 membranes that are either 5 in. in dia. or 2.5 depending on the manufacturer of the membrane. There is also an 8 in.dia. x 5 ft membrane out there as well. If you have one of those you should be able to make plenty of nitrox for your compressor.
If your system is sized correctly I would be checking for leaks.
ZDD

I spoke with Bob (Nitro Bob) of Nitrox Solutions today about your request. He says, prepare to spend big bucks! This was a face to face discussion, as we are working on a project together. Water cooling is a must, for both lp and hp units. IMO, if you are using air cooled equipment, you are asking for trouble.

Craig

The system will be mounted on a trailer and I already have the compressor and other parts it is running off of a Gas v twin command 15 motor. The plan is to make this system completely portable as I commonly dive and take large groups of students over 4 hrs from my home and am planing on doing only Nitrox no air at all.

The system will be mounted on a trailer and I already have the compressor and other parts it is running off of a Gas v twin command 15 motor. The plan is to make this system completely portable as I commonly dive and take large groups of students over 4 hrs from my home and am planing on doing only Nitrox no air at all.
If you want to go that way then look at a portable LP compressor/ membrane unit. Talk to Glen @ Nuvair about what you want and he can build you a unit.
ZDD

Wookie, I think that you may have another issue going on if you have 45cfm @175-psi of LP air available for your membrane. Assuming everything is sized right for your system you will be loosing aprox. 25% of the feed air as nitrogen which should leave you with just under 34cfm available for your 13cfm hp compressor.
When sizing a LP compressor for a system I would always double the cfm requirment for the HP unit and add a little more.
The unit that you have should have 2 membranes that are either 5 in. in dia. or 2.5 depending on the manufacturer of the membrane. There is also an 8 in.dia. x 5 ft membrane out there as well. If you have one of those you should be able to make plenty of nitrox for your compressor.
If your system is sized correctly I would be checking for leaks.
ZDD
Went back and checked specs. My IR 2545 10 hP makes 35 cfm@175 PSI. My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom