NITROX Labels on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that only stamped information (DOT/TC, Serial Number, Hydro, etc) is really required by law. Sticker information is all voluntary self regulation imposed by the scuba industry – and yes, that would also include VIP stickers. Therefore, you would be breaking the law if you fill up tanks with expired hydros, but you would not be doing anything illegal if you fill up a tank with an expired VIP sticker. That said, I would agree that most dive shops will be more strict about having a current VIP sticker than they are about having a Nitrox band.

Yes, I’ve had minor trouble from a local dive shop because my tanks didn’t have a Nitrox band:
I came to the shop with about 1/3 of my doubles capacity filled up with 32%. This was leftover gas I got from a dive boat while doing some wrecks. I dropped the tanks at noon telling the instructor behind the counter to top them up with air. I told her I would be back after 5pm so that I get a slow fill and the contents become homogenous. I was expecting to have between 24%-25% EAN after the top up. So I pay for my air fill and head to the O2 analyzer to verify the contents. When the shop owner sees me analyzing my unmarked tanks, he starts giving the poor instructor grief about doing nitrox fills in unbanded tanks. I stop him and clarify to him that she didn’t fill up my tanks with nitrox. She just topped them off with air. I also explained why I was using the analyzer. So he left the poor lady alone and said to me that he will not give me nitrox fills if I bring in tanks without a nitrox band. I replied, “that is good to know,” and I’ve never gotten another fill of any kind from that shop.

<snip>Do you need to have a Nitrox Label on your tanks to get them filled...<snip> Divers have you ever had trouble?
I think it depends more the shop than anything else. I have never used a Nitrox wrap nor have I been asked to put one on.

If however I was in a position that the only fills available were from a shop that required a wrap and the next shop was 100 or more miles away, I might just have to grin and bear it or buy a compressor.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom