Nitrox gas separation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised that no one has yet brought up the Laws of Thermodynamics. For a mixed gas to separate under normal conditions found on the earth you need to add energy to the system as you are going from a low order system (mixed gas) to a higher order system (separated gas).

So ends our Law class for today.

But, it can be done, just go to Iran and ask AmanIneedajob (or whatever his name is) if you can borrow a few of his gas centrifuges.

Pete

It's been done, remember Apollo 13?

But that has a lot more to do with the dynamics of mixed liquid and gas phases of the same gas in a micro gravity environment.

OH MAN!!! Now you guys have gone and done it. Now I need to make some type of "roller" for my doubles.

What are people's experiences with the accuracy and temperature compensation of different analyzer models, particularly when the gas is at a different temperature than the sensor?

OH MAN!!! Now you guys have gone and done it. Now I need to make some type of "roller" for my doubles.

The "poormans" method is to hang your doubles from an overhead beam with a two part line and wind them up like the rubber band in a kids toy airplane.

Tobin

Waitress, clunking plate on table: "Here's your breakfast."

Customer: "Hold on, miss. I ordered scrambled eggs. These are over-easy."

Waitress: "They were scrambled. Guess they separated back while sitting under the light."

*sigh*

The "poormans" method is to hang your doubles from an overhead beam with a two part line and wind them up like the rubber band in a kids toy airplane.

Tobin

Oh come on Tobin that would be centrifugal not rolling. I don't want my O2 to separate even further. :D
I guess I could rig some type of boot system so there is a center post on the bottom between the tanks. Use my isolator for the other point and roll them up two lines hung from a beam.
How many times do you guys think I should do this before I dive my nitrox?? Should a higher % be rolled more?? :D Maybe I should just call my LDS, he knows everything! :D

Just returned from Coz and had a problem with Nitrox fills. Was told it was my analyzer and that if Nitrox sits in a tank for an extended period the nitrogen will separate from the oxygen. Has anyone ever heard of that? BTW, the tanks had only set for about a week.

Total BS. Gas won't separate like that.

If I recall ( and this is a stretch! ) the Quantum Gas Theorem ( or some such thing) has several postulates. I think it's number 3 that says something to the affect "the gas particles are always moving in a straight line" which would indicate gas will combine and stay that way until some other thing happens causing it to separate, like heat or filtering or a catalyst.

I can look up the exact details if you want. It's also nonsense when people tell you they have to roll or mix a tank of nitrox after filling ( Partial Pressure Blending )

Back
Top Bottom