Nitrox course without dives - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reminds me of a comment made by a friend of mine. He was going to write a book entitled Diving on Nitrox for Dummies. It went:

"Stay shallower than 100 feet. The end."

Reminds me of a comment made by a friend of mine. He was going to write a book entitled Diving on Nitrox for Dummies. It went:

"Stay shallower than 100 feet. The end."

:lol: :rofl3:

Most of us (INSTRUCTORS/OWNERS) prefer to have the Enriched Air Diver student take the course without making dives. Face it....breathing is second nature and taking a yellow bottle with a green label to a specified depth is NOT challenging. Spend the time to teach the student the basics and move on to REBREATHER DIVER or something that is really challenging. Besides, I need the surface interval!!!

I really think that adding the dives to the class is another cash builder for the instructor/dive shop.

Can anyone tell me whether the cost of nitrox certification has decreased since most of the agencies pulled the diving requirement?

Can anyone tell me whether the cost of nitrox certification has decreased since most of the agencies pulled the diving requirement?

The course I am doing is $220. All other courses I looked at with dive requirements cost $395-450.

I don't think this means it makes more cash for the shops though. At $50x2 for two boat dives, that leaves $70-130 for the instructor's time, and for a whole day on a boat that isn't much.

Blackwood I would say from what I have heard it did come down somewhat but it also depends on the dive shop thats teaching the course. Unfortunately I have heard some classes as cheap as $80 and others as much as $200. So where it is that you choose to cert has a lot to do with it I think.

My understanding from when I did the course (without dives) is that back in the 'old days' when Nitrox was more controversial and recreational cert courses were just appearing, there was a common belief that you felt different. More recent double-blind experiments suggest any real differences are small if they exist at all, and unlikely to be noticeable to the newcomer. .

I would be interested in seeing the details of these studies.

I have seen the details of one study that produced those conclusions, and it was a total farce. I don't remember it precisely, but they put divers through something like two dives to 60 feet for a half hour each and compared the way they felt. That study simply did not stress the divers enough to produce any noticeable difference whatsoever.

A full week of deeper, repetitive dives would be much more telling.

As a nitrox instructor, I officially tell my students that all evidence of feeling better is anecdotal, and there is no scientific evidence to support it, but...

I have done full weeks of deeper, repetitive dives on air, and I have done full weeks of deeper, repetitive dives on nitrox, and I know my anecdotal, unscientific preference.

I agree, After 3 or more repetitive dives on air I completely conk out on boats. If I'm using nitrox, I don't have the immediate need to fall asleep. This COULD be the placebo effect but I have to believe that having between 11%-19% less nitrogen in your system (assuming you didn't push your NDL) will have a positive effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom