Nitrox course without dives - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this course allows you to dive the 32% Nitrox mix but you still must use air tables or, if using a computer, keep it on air"

lulz

Was this any cheaper than the full course, and/or can you roll this one into the full course?

Hmmm Thats strange that it would say use 32% on air tables since M.O.D. changes with increase. I would go ahead and get the full course just for the independance and the ability to use up to 40% nitrox. Check with your local dive shop and see what they can do to help.

As for the question has any one ever used that card? Honestly the only thing I have ever heard of the course being used for was for like on a resort course with a divemaster or greater. Sorry I could not help more :-(

Im just stunned people are asked for cards to get fills !

Im just stunned people are asked for cards to get fills !

Yea, I've been asked for my c-card at every new shop I have been in, to get fills (with one exception). I went away to Sydney for a trip and forgot my card... so a friend had to get all our fills for us. Even though we were next to him in the shop, and the store person knew they were for us, she said "I just need to see a card"... :rofl3: Which I guess kind of defeats the safety aim of card checking to make sure untrained divers don't get air fills...

Glad i dont live anywhere that ridiculous !

Much prefer the system here. Got fills by just turning up at a dive shop (no cards. nitrox).
Then yesterday we booked a RIB to take us diving. We turned up at the slipway, paid the skipper and got on his boat. No forms, no disclaimers, no qualifications needed - we just went diving.

Nitrox is the Devil's gas, and if you breathe it without an appropriate C-Card you will burn in hell for all eternity!

Not really, but you might be forgiven for thinking so from some of the stuff you read.

Glad i dont live anywhere that ridiculous !

The diving here makes up for the process you have to take just to get in the water :wink:

Much prefer the system here. Got fills by just turning up at a dive shop (no cards. nitrox).
Then yesterday we booked a RIB to take us diving. We turned up at the slipway, paid the skipper and got on his boat. No forms, no disclaimers, no qualifications needed - we just went diving.

I think in a less litigious environment it would be like that, but I think most shops are just trying to cover themselves. Doesn't bother me that much to have to show an OW card or soon, a Nitrox card - it does bother me that some shop affiliated clubs won't let you do night dives without a night diving card, wreck dive without a wreck card (just external survey dives I mean), a Drift dive without a drift card... and so on :shakehead:

Yep I went to a dive shop in Hawaii when I was newly certified with just an open water divers card. Man it was a trip because the waves were pretty good sized so getting in with out busting your well you know was an adventure then there was the issue of I never had dove off a boat so I was a little nervous. Then When in the water the divemaster said we are going to almost 70 feet. I asked him if it was ok since I was recommended to do a 60 foot or dive less and he stated" Do you see the scuba police anywhere?" Well I will say is this. It was a botched dive due to inexperience but non the less looking back on it I really do get a laugh about the whole thing.

But the Nitrox is a diffrent issue. They were adimate to one diver who forgot (So he claimed) his nitrox card that he must have his Nitrox card and DID not back down. Way to go shop :).

lulz

Was this any cheaper than the full course, and/or can you roll this one into the full course?

I'm not much for PADI but we wanted to dive Nitrox while on Bonaire (it wasn't much offered in our previous part of the world - middle east) and also, we noticed in South Fla last time we were there the dive boats would kinda/sorta base your S.I.s on Nitrox so they could get a two tank dive operation in the morning and, again, in the afternoon. I mentioned the short S.I. to the Op and they basically said - tuff *****.

I thought i was getting a basic Nitrox course and, when completed, I could only use the 32% gas mixture and, again, no mentioned that you can only use it on "regular air" tables (at least officially) - which, in my opinion, is insane.

Buyer beware I guess - especially when the seller is PADI!

The last time I was shore diving in S. Fla - fill shops wanted to see C-cards. And my question centers around "indirect supervision" and what that really means????

Cheers and Beers
TEERLKAY

This may be why there are always rumours of PADI offering a purely online Nitrox course.

I still like the idea of getting at least some hands on experience using an O2 analyser though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom