Nitrox course without dives - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAS I really think you wont be disappointed in the nitrox course. It really is a plus in my book when you especially do a lot of diving in a short period of time. One plus is when a person you may be diving with does for some reason get DCI most of us dont normally carry 100 percent oxygen around with us. Due to that you do have the next best thing to administer which is the highest percent of oxygen available. Like the old saying says a little extra is better then none at all. I very my oxygen content depending on the dive but the majority of my dives are at 50 feet or less so I predominatly use 36% with the max operating depth of 90 feet. but for deep dives I Try to use the 32% which gives an mod of like 109 feet. (Sorry I dont have the conversion to meters) either way if you are a repetitive diver doing 4 dives or more in less then like 8 hours you will appreciate the nitrox a lot more after the surface and wont have the I need a nap feeling.

I tend not to do that many dives a day, well usually a deep one followed by one or two shallow ones (less than 5m) so rarely have to worry about my NDL on additional dives although they tend to be longer. Basically doing the course so I can do longer dives in the 20-30m range for my first dive :) Hitting my NDL before my gas limit these days...

Doing the DAN O2 provider course in two weeks as well as Nitrox so I guess I will find out all about using oxygen for diving injuries then. :)

Fyi, if you want to convert metres to feet, or celsius to fahrenheit, etc, type something like "109ft into m", or "40m into ft", "10C in F", "50F in C" into google. Will do the calculation for you! I find using that makes understanding some of the posts here a lot easier, seeing as some people here are still using imperial :D

The Dan O2 provider is a great course too. Are you planning on doing any rescue diver courses eventually? The two go hand in hand at least with Padi they do. Padis rescue diver course actually talks alittle about providing Oxygen and is the source of my education of the highest content of oxygen available.

Im very interested in hearing how the nitrox course goes for you. I hope you enjoy being able to beneifit from it afterwords.

Thanks! :) I'll let you know in a few weeks when I am done with it~ Actually doing Rescue (SSI not PADI though, so might be a bit different) around the same time. Early October will be busy for me as far as diving courses go :)

WOW sounds like your trying to accomplish alot in a short time. O2 proveider, rescue and nitrox. Definately good luck at it. Sounds like you are a real trooper lol Come to think of it I am up on my one year anniversary for diving. October 7 was my first open water cerftification date. I actually took my very first dive on May 15, 2007 as a discover scuba and was instantly hooked.

So now you have got me wandering also. What other courses are you taking since you seem to be preparing for quiet a bit?

You'll have to go out and dive on the 7th to celebrate :) I will be one year certified in Feb next year~

Hmm no more courses for a while :p, I don't usually rush through things to be honest (took me over four months to do all the bits for my AOW for example :p) but they all happened to coincide on the same two weeks in October! I guess as winter is over now, people are keen to get back diving so that is probably why they run the courses then. I have done OW+AOW+Deep and I think only Rescue and Nitrox for a while.

The next one I want to do is CDAA Deep Cavern sometime next year, I have done the dive requirements for it, but you need to be certified for a year before doing that... and I do want to do a bunch more dives before so I am pretty comfortable first. Money is a bit of a constraint as well, to set up doubles and pay for the course! Maybe end of 09 :)

What about you? I was guessing maybe no more courses for you given your earlier post on dive shops and their attitude towards courses? :)

LOL I am looking and debating on the courses. My earlier comment was geared to the fact that I Just dont see spending the money on the courses other then the basic 3 (AOW OW and Nitrox) But I sort of I guess from my experience in law enforcement and security a person who just likes to be to the T. I love just having things to show I am not stationary in life but instead progressing. So I am always looking and debating on courses.

I want to do wreck diving since I seem most attracted to that field of diving. I have completed the books and know the video inside and out LOL. Also if I had a way to upload a video on the computer (Im not good with computers) I have an awesome video of when I went to Kaui that I swam through some caverns (So much for cavern specialty huh?) I think youd be impressed with the beauty Hawaii has.

Another thing I have considered is the scooter course though I dont know why. I told them in Hawaii I wasnt certified so they gave me a few minute spill and away I went. That was awesome.

I would like though one day to get up to the rebreather but from what I have heard the maintenance and upkeep plus the cost itself of the rebreather is not feasible for the amount of diving I do and so limited to being a week end warrior so to say.

But like say as far as needing the courses most places I have been just say "Got your c card and nitrox card." I dont know if you can tell but I am still figuring out this web site so I posted some photos on here I just learned how LOL Feel free to take a look at them :)

Cut myself short there sorry sas but one course I am going to take sometime hopefully soon is the drysuit :)

Ok so we "put another dollar in" (as much as it pains me) to PADI while on Bonaire for the discover Nitrox course and the last sentence out of the instructors mouth is something like: " Oh by the way, I really recomend you take the full course cause this course allows you to dive the 32% Nitrox mix but you still must use air tables or, if using a computer, keep it on air"

My response (edited for family viewing): "you have got to be friggin kidding me - all i've effectively done is raise the recreational depth limit from 130ft to 100ft"

Instructor (noticing my irratation) says " Well no one will be checking (wink wink)

Well now I get the silly card in the mail and it says "Discover enriched air nitrox, indirect supervision required, 32% max, using air RDP, 30m/100ft max" right on the front.

My question - has anyone tried to rent a tank of 32% nitrox with this silly card?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom