Nitrox certification benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even if you dive nitrox but as you had air you will feel better after the dive with the nitrox.

Because your body will not be tired as it would be with air.

Take the extra NDL time to aside, just for knowing that nitrox is better for your body makes it a better choice.

Anyone who tells you this and dives nitrox on their 25' dives at the quarry is smoking better stuff than I can find. It's a placebo effect at best and people looking to justify their green and yellow stickers and added costs.

Nitrox is a deep gas. Nitrox is anything over 21%. I regularly dive 25% to depths of 150-160' and 50% to deco on (also a nitrox mix). That, however, requires a whole new set of much tougher classes to qualify you.

since no one said it that I saw and we're rapidly approaching it, another benefit of diving it is to get the experience necessary to go Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Diving in technical training. TDI requires a minimum of 10 nitrox dives before you start advanced, so that's why it's worth it for me.

this is the advanced forum, so no flames...

A deep gas? Now, we're talking about advanced nitrox. A whole nuther subject!

Agreed, but I prefer to provide a realistic answer, not a canned '32%/36%' answer to someone asking.

Nitrox, whether in recreational or technical diving is a tool.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 09:20 PM ----------

since no one said it that I saw and we're rapidly approaching it, another benefit of diving it is to get the experience necessary to go Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Diving in technical training. TDI requires a minimum of 10 nitrox dives before you start advanced, so that's why it's worth it for me.

10 nitrox dives before advanced nitrox/deco? I think you're trying to start a standards flaming...

In another thread, someone posted that they had read a study that said that vacation divers using Nitrox reported having more sex than those not using Nitroxv ... As it is, I started using Nitrox even when on land whenever possible :D
So?? Did it work??

even if you dive nitrox but as you had air you will feel better after the dive with the nitrox.

Because your body will not be tired as it would be with air.

Take the extra NDL time to aside, just for knowing that nitrox is better for your body makes it a better choice.

Although I believe the study finding Nitrox having no effect on how tired you are after diveing was flawed, I feel no beneficial effect for a two or three dive day. When lobster diving, doing four to six dives a day for three days, I will pay for Nitrox because I can feel the difference, otherwise I'm with AfterDark for diving on air.

I have no reason to believe it is better for your body, even at normal pressure there are negative effects when using elvevated O2 levels over time, although it may be a better choice for certain dives. It's all about risk management.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Anyone who tells you this and dives nitrox on their 25' dives at the quarry is smoking better stuff than I can find. It's a placebo effect at best and people looking to justify their green and yellow stickers and added costs.

Nitrox is a deep gas. Nitrox is anything over 21%. I regularly dive 25% to depths of 150-160' and 50% to deco on (also a nitrox mix). That, however, requires a whole new set of much tougher classes to qualify you.

Hi 616fun,

I'm not telling that people should dive nitrox in dives to 25' because it is necessary. I'm just saying that your body would absorb less nitrogen and your body will have less decompression stress. That's why I wrote that it's the better choice.
If it is gonna make that much of a difference at a dive of 25' is another topic.

other than that I personally believe that nitrox makes a difference to your after-dive tiredness. I worked as a dive guide and I dove the same profiles at the very same divespots over and over (max. Depth 100'-130'). In the few days where I had air instead of nitrox (it was 32%) I felt significantly tired.

In another thread, someone posted that they had read a study that said that vacation divers using Nitrox reported having more sex than those not using Nitrox (I aint kidding here it was posted in another thread here on this board). After reading that I would have taken a Nitrox course immediately, except I already had my Nitrox card. As it is, I started using Nitrox even when on land whenever possible :D

Got my nitrox cert but rarely use it because I'm a lowly postgrad student and if I can save a few $ on air/nitrox and still do the dive so be it! although as of late I've been 'buddy-less' so I may just sit in my TV room hooked up to nitrox this evening and hope for the best based on this new line of evidence!

Look at what is currently restricting your dive time (boredom is my limiting factor at local dive sites) if its your air supply I wouldn't bother with nitrox just yet :)

Fatigue is subjective but I sure feel a difference after a week of working on Nitrox vs working on air.

Depending on your typical profiles Nitrox can extend bottom times. This is important for wreck divers, shark divers etc. where the main interest of the dive is at 20-25m. An extra 10mins of bottom time is great on shark dives.

If you breathe quickly your tank, Nitrox still has the benefit of reduced Nitrogen loading, making (already safe) NDL limits even safer.

Exactly right and one should use their skills on some sort of a semi regular basis to keep current. Not that Nx is huge in skills, however doing gas changes should be practiced semi regular rather than once every occasional 5 year opportunity one gets.

Complacency kills !

Back
Top Bottom