Nitrox certification benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you breathe quickly your tank, Nitrox still has the benefit of reduced Nitrogen loading, making (already safe) NDL limits even safer.

Not diving at all also reduces Nitrogen loading but I think we should be realistic about risk here, if air supply is currently the limiting factor then I would be hesitant to hold Nitrox up as 'safer'. When you consider the extra work associated with Nitrox in terms of monitoring pO2, sorting out max depths and testing tanks it can all introduce complexities to a dive, whether divers should plan to a higher standard anyway is an argument for another thread.

Although I hate quoting Wiki I find this quote sums it up nicely "(ANDI) uses the term "SafeAir", but considering the complexities and hazards of mixing, handling, analyzing, and using oxygen enriched air, this name is considered inappropriate by those who consider that it is not inherently "safe", but merely has decompression advantages". I agree with the latter part of the sentence and am hesitant to brand Nitrox as a safer option to air, I don't disagree that it reduces Nitrogen loading (that would be daft) but it does introduce new complexities.

In summary I'd say dive whats appropriate for your own limiting factors, if a dive can be safely conducted on air do it that way as it makes life easier, if NDL's are the limiting factor then dive Nitrox, I personally don't subscribe to the always dive Nitrox mantra though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom