nitrogen nightmare?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagine a hot beer or coke, supersaturated with dissolved carbon dioxide. Now shake it up and open it. That's what you're trying to do to your body, not really knowing how much dissolve nitrogen you have. Except with no place to spew like the beverage, the bubbles block your system, and we find you bent in pain.

Time to quit doing that! :D

Thank you all for your input, I will try to put this into practise and do any freediving prior to scuba.

craysea:
Thank you all for your input, I will try to put this into practise and do any freediving prior to scuba.
Uh, we're talking about after Scuba, right?

Free diving to 6 meters, you probably are not putting yourself at too much risk. What you probably are doing is freaking your computer out (unless you are diving tables). All those rapid assents and desents and dive starts and stop. The poor thing must think you are insane. Here's something else for you to consider:

For repetative dives, either with tables or computer, they are assuming you are off gassing on your surface interval at 1 ATA (at the surface). Doing mult free dives you are increasing your ambient pressure and therefore decreasing the rate you are off gassing. Do this enough and you could seriously throw off calculations for subsequent dives. But, if you are not planning a dive in the next 8-12 hours, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also, don't be tempted to take a huff off your reg on the bottom during a free dive. A lung over-expansion injury will ruin your whole day!

I would never dream of puffing my reg during freediving because of the risks involved, and also because there is normally no air left in my tank by that stage. There just never seems to be enough time underwater so hopefully santa will bring me a pair of gills for christmas.

craysea:
I would never dream of puffing my reg during freediving because of the risks involved, and also because there is normally no air left in my tank by that stage. There just never seems to be enough time underwater so hopefully santa will bring me a pair of gills for christmas.
You're sucking your tank empty?! :11: You have a dangerous streak in you, don't you. Where do you live and dive, anyway?

Hi there Dan I'm in New Zealand so you wouldn't be the one having to rescue
me from myself. I only suck them dry if I can still safety surface eg under 5 metres. Me and my mate are very confident with our own abilities and usually are sob. The worry about having a tank fail due to stress fractures or corrousion are things that don't worry me (they are replaceable). I'm just a very addicted diver whom can't get enough.

Okey dokey

Oh man...what else can you say. Good luck my friend.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom