nitrogen filled wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever heard of a wetsuit that has nitrogen rather that air? A guy my dad works with said that he had one for sale that was nitrogen filled to help keep it from compressing as much as a normal wetsuit. I was thinking it might be some selling gimmick or maybe all wetsuits are filled with nitrogen rather than air.

Michael

I thought all wetsuits bubbles were nitrogen??

I'm betting that suit he was selling was quite expensive? :wink:

Has anyone ever heard of a wetsuit that has nitrogen rather that air? A guy my dad works with said that he had one for sale that was nitrogen filled to help keep it from compressing as much as a normal wetsuit. I was thinking it might be some selling gimmick or maybe all wetsuits are filled with nitrogen rather than air.

Michael

They're all filled with nitrogen.

Drysuits and Wetsuits - Diver Magazine

Terry

Premium materials such as Rubatex is nitrogen blown. Run of the mill materials will contain air and other chemical by products.

While nitrogen has many benefits as touted today by tire shops the premium neoprenes are also denser and as such less susceptible to compression. this leaves the bubbles with more integrity and better performance. These materials will not be as compliant as the "hyper stretch" type blends. As such wrist and angle zippers are often desirable. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that most of this material goes into custom suits where the cut need not be a compromise.

So yes there is a difference in Neoprenes relating to nitrogen. There a lot of information within the Rubatex site linked to above.

Pete

Who cares what its filled with, O2 and N2 have simular Z factors and simular specific heat and values of conduction.

And if you waste money filling your tires with nitrogen I have a bridge to sell you.

Nitrogen is inert, oxygen is not. As such O2 will oxidize neoprene which causes it to break down. The more the bubbles break down the less insulation.

Nitrogen is not there for warmth, it provides good insulating characteristics and does not damage the rubber. Read the Rubatex site if you want to know more.

Back
Top Bottom