Nitox & Genesis GS2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetnorm

Registered
Reaction score
>>Similar question: Genesis is not intended for use with nitrox per package insert. My new GS2000 info doesn't even mention "kits."
>>>Is the (new) 2003 labeling different than last year's package insert due to perceived liability? Or is this a reflection of new use of titanium, and thus incontroverible recommendation against nitrox?
>>I have gleaned that this reg may be made by Oceanic, and is similar to the Delta 3 2nd stage, the 1st stage is sealed but a piston!! Maybe similar to Oceanic PX2 (piston) not the DX4 (diaphragm). Is Oceanic nitrox ready?
>>Should I use this with nitrox -- no fear?
>>Should I keep it as a good first reg for a newbie? Price of $220was good for a mid level performer on Rodale's.
>>Should I return/trade it, knowing my next class or so will be EAN?
>>THANKS!!!!!!!!

You seem to have your regulators a bit mixed up. The Genesis GS2000 is not a Titanium regulator. The Genesis OZ is the Titanium version you refer to briefly.

The OZ is nitrox compatible right out of the box up to 40% O2. The regulator is safe for use with the enriched air because of it's construction using Monel, as well as other parts.

The regular GS2000 model is not nitrox ready out of the box but can be serviced with an enriched air service kit and cleaned to be "Nitrox Ready". This is not something that is mentioned in the Owner's Manual, as the regulator is to only be cleaned and made O2 ready by a qualified Genesis Repair Technician in conjunction with a complete overhaul. It requires special cleaning and procedures that are outlined in the Service & Repair Manual.

Overall, you made a good choice in your regulator, and should be happy with it and it's performance for some time to come.

Wetnorm,

Any regulator is nitrox compatible for concentrations up to 40% which you will not exceed in recreational diving. Anyone LDS telling you you need a kit or any special servicing (other than the normal anual service) to use your reg with nitrox is just trying to lighten your walet.

James

James.

I am not with any particular dive shop, nor am I interested in lightening any wallets. I am in charge of one of the Technical Support Departments for Sherwood/Genesis scuba.

For safety reasons his GS2000 DOES NEED to be outfitted with the Enriched Air Service Kit prior to use with any mixtures of Enriched Air greater than 21%.

This is stated in the D.A.D. First Stage Service Guide issued to authorized dealers and technicians on page 3.

ANY regulator not already equipped with O2 compatible componants in key places is susceptible to an Oxygen "Flash" burn.

If you have any further questions regarding the GS2000 and it's compatibility, you are welcome to contact me at technicalsupport@cramerdecker.com

And, incidentally, when I owned my dive shop, I'd do this service for for no additional charge during an annual service, or for free if the customer purchased the unit from me.

shrwdtech once bubbled...
I am not with any particular dive shop, nor am I interested in lightening any wallets. I am in charge of one of the Technical Support Departments for Sherwood/Genesis scuba.

I carefully worded that so as not to be accusing you personally but LDS's. :)

In the manufacturers case, I'd say it's more a matter of lawyers being overly cautious from a liablity standpoint.

If you have any further questions regarding the GS2000 and it's compatibility, you are welcome to contact me at technicalsupport@cramerdecker.com

No questions. I have a GS2000 that I use with EAN 32/36 with no problems.

James

James,

Fair enough. I didn't take it as an attack at me personally. I just wanted to make sure the "Official" response was there as well.

I know many people know the in's and out's of things, and combine knowledge (as in this case) of mixed gasses, metals or alloys, and their reactions. But on the manufacturer side of things, I get to be in on the "odd occurances" that go against the rules and laws of what we think should or should not happen.

And, that is where we make our rules from. In this case, it has less to do with liability, than it does with several 'reactions' we've been privvy to. Safety first.

Have a great weekend!

shrwdtech once bubbled...
I know many people know the in's and out's of things, and combine knowledge (as in this case) of mixed gasses, metals or alloys, and their reactions. But on the manufacturer side of things, I get to be in on the "odd occurances" that go against the rules and laws of what we think should or should not happen.

Details. We want details. :mean:

Seriously though, I'm very intersted in hearing about some of these occurances. Under what conditions do they occur. Is poor regulator maintenance a factor? Some external heat source?

James

Bob, or shrwdtech is right. But the Nitrox kit and stick to the manufacturer’s requirements. Remember WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY.

California

Can't give any details. Sorry. It's one of those product liability things.

But, all the manufacturers have logged enough instances of odd occurances that we all tend to agree. If your gear is not set up for enriched air or your particular manufacturer does not say that your gear is okay for use with enriched air, don't use it with enriched air.

The little bit of cash you save on the service and preperation (or lack of it) isn't worth what could be your results.

A dive shop is going to follow the manufacturer recommendations and they're going to suggest you do the same. The manufacturer recommendations may very well be motivated by fear of liability and the LDS must follow their recommendations for the same reason. That's not the same as being a crook. O2 cleaning regs is one of those things that if you had enough of them to do to keep you busy all day you'd be closed in a month. It wouldn't even pay the phone bill yet alone the rent. It's just something that you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom