Night diving Alexander Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at my LDS yesterday and I asked him about night diving since he conducts his OW there. He does night dive the spring. They enter the spring run outside the park boundry by canoe. Paddle up the run,1.5 miles I think, then enter the spring from the run. The first time they did this the Park Rangers called the Sheriff. The Sheriff told the Park Rangers that as long as the divers stay in the water and don't come on to park property there is nothing illegal about it. Since the run is public waterway it makes a bit of sense.

Not having first hand knowledge I would need to speak to the arresting powers that be if this is actually so. I would hate to try it and then find out I would need more than a BAIL out bottle. ;-)
I will still ask the Rangers when I go there Sun.

Chuck

The spring is open to the campers there 24/7. That would be the way to do it. But springs don't bring out the plethora of life at night like a reef or a wreck. You will have a few more critters to look at, but they are mostly brown in color. wink

I guess the question really is to what extent the park ranges jurisdiction extends.

See cablemans post on Alexander Springs part of which I quote here:. "We went alittle futher, and that is when the rangers went nuts. DO NOT SWIM PAST THE BARRIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They ask us(hahaha) to go back, and swim the roped off area."

Can the rangers stop you from diving the run or even the basin if you didn't enter it through the park? How much of the run is controlled and how much is considered public waterways.

Chuck

Whatever the park rules, they should be adhered to. Why jepodize the situation where the authorities could ban diving all together?........just my 2 cents

dutchfin:
Whatever the park rules, they should be adhered to. Why jepodize the situation where the authorities could ban diving all together?........just my 2 cents

That's what I intend to find out on Sun. when we go there.

Due to our trip there sometime this spring, i would really love to know the outcome of both the night diving question and the snorkelling the run option too. There is never any harm in asking - particularly before you think about doing something that could affect others!

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but i asked at the gate when we went there yesterday and was told that you definately couldnt dive after 6pm in the spring (if you entered thru the park). We asked that even if we were camping there would it make a difference and were told the same again. Inadvertantly i did drift under the line (suspended about 2-3 inches above the water surface) about 50ft as i was "snorkeling on gas" in the shallows and my GF signalled me as she heard the ranger calling out to us - i couldnt hear him U/W, so i set about going back up to the line.

Really not sure what you might see at night, as Netdoc mentioned, there were a few small schools of a variety of fish and a number of turtles, didnt see the mini-gators though - i know they prefer the night.

I am looking up the law cuz I know its in this book I have somewhere, but it is my understanding that you can access springs etc from public waterways (rivers, springs runs, etc) and go to the springs at night. Like if you wanted to dive Ginnie you can access the sites via the Sante Fe River, you just can't step foot on the shore, as then you wold be tresspassing. A way that the parks could stop you is if they posted the waterway with a sign stating something to the effect of 'beyond this point is private/state owned property, no access' and then you would be tresspassing.

I agree its better to not to try to find loop holes cuz then the state parks could just ban divers altogether. Its a privledge that that state allows us to dive certain locations and we shouldn't abuse that.

It is also my understanding that some state parks will allow a night dive for like a group, etc if you make arrangements in advance. In this case, rather than talking to the rangers at the park, I would contact that parks district office and ask them.

Also I have noticed that many of you are using our state parks for diving. The parks do offer an annual individual or family recreational pass. If you frequent the parks then it is well worth the money and will pay for itself in a few visits. ANd it is good for all parks in the state, excpet maybe one or 2.

Do you have a link about where to get an annual pass, cost, coverage of SP's?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom