Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to be a firefighter, so the dark won't bother me

Firefighter=being in the dark most of the time. (Sorry its a union thing, have a tease hoseheads whenever possible.)

I've become a suba snob after diving Coz last year. No cold water for me.

I worry about shore diving the Chesapeake for a rescue class and how much that diving will suck in the mid summer. Coz has ruined me for anything not warm and clear.....

Cold, dark and bad visibility is no problem and night dives rocks regardless where it is :)

We dove Paradise a couple of years ago. There was ripping current! We aborted the dive half way through.

Something you just try for yourself, but, me personally, I have done a couple night dives (Cozumel and Roatan) and am still trying to understand what the big deal is. We did see several crab, lobster and octopus, however the dives overall just didn't seem too interesting.

I am going to try again, really hoping something sparks or I assume I'll just quit night dives all together.

Just don't come up under a cruise ship :) & you'll be fine(see we were a little away...lol.).....Any one recognize this fella???......

edgar.jpg

Hint: he was working here the end of '07 when these pics were taken...

IMG_0058146-copy_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
I did a night dive at Paradise last Friday and at Paso De Cedral Saturday night. Paradise had many more critters. There were so many octopi that it became no big deal to see another one. One really fun thing to do is feed the coral and anemones--when the little fish and worms start swarming your light, take the light close to a coral head or anemone and watch the feeding frenzy. I filled up three large anemones in just a few seconds.

Little things, and equipment specific-so they may not be applicable:

If your gauges,Computer,etc have the "glow in the dark" faces (as opposed to/ in addition to a push button back light), shine your light at these faces to "preload" them. before you descend.

Don't put the "hot spot" of your light on the sealife, rather keep them in the outer area of the light-less likely to spook them.

Relax and enjoy the dive, have fun.

Many, many years ago, when I did my very first night dive on Paradise Reef, I was nervous, thinking about the possibility that my lights would fail, that I'd lose track of the group, that I'd get swept out to sea by currents, that I'd end up the evening meal of a night-hunting shark. No such luck. I got used to the low light very quickly, and there was so much different to see that I very quickly lost all thought of anything going wrong. By the time I got back on the boat, I was ready to don another tank and di it again. A few years ago, I was with a group diving in Cozumel and paired up with a Newbie for his first night dive. He was also very nervous about diving in the dark, but I told him to relax, and by the time he came up, he admitted that it was by far the coolest dive he had done so far.

BTW, for my first several years of diving, every night dive I did, everyone in the group would tie a glow stick to the top of their tanks, and it was easy to keep track of everyone. But I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they no longer allow glow sticks in the Marine Park -- if the get loose or break or leak, that fluid is not very eco-friendly. I now have a small battery powered tank light that I use on Night dives, so others can track me, but on my last few night dives, no one else in the group had any tank lights - just the handheld lights. Check with your DM before buying any glowsticks. It was still pretty easy to keep track of the group, but I still like those battery powered lights that you tie to the top of your tank for keeping track of your dive buddy.

Servando at Tres Pelicanos wears one black fin and one yellow fin which makes him very easy to spot. I usually will wear a backwards baseball cap under my mask strap. There are many things a buddy team can do to stand apart from the crowd to make it easier to keep track--day or night. Glow in the dark fins would be cool.

BTW, on both my night dives, we came across a rather large, solo barracuda hanging out just outside the glow of our lights. Cool and a little creepy at the same time when you light them up. If you start at dusk, look out for balloon fish--one of my favorites.

We did our first night dive as a twilight where you get in while it is light out and it gets dark once you are there. I prefer dark, but it eases people into the first one.

It was kinda weird coming up to the surface when it is really dark and you can just make out the towering pier structure for the cruisers close to you. Looks huge.

Back
Top Bottom