Night Dive for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the night dive its a blast as said,
but do it with a dive opp you know and trust,If on your trip you find a opp that you enjoy and TRUST!!! =GET A FEW DIVES IN FIRST!! to get your weight and things all straight,then and only if they have the 2 lights,you have a glow stick or flashing light=strobe and whistle and a DM to dive with you do it,
The stuff is cheap and you should have it on all dives!
The night brings out a whole new crew on the reefs and others sleep you can see them in their coral homes taking a snooze!
Dive safe,
Brad

Roatan Man
That link (cocoview) should be defined as cruel and unusual punishment against brits on a wet,windy,dank,cold,english day. Have a look at some of the live webcams of the british shore and you will see what I mean. http://www.seabird.org/web-cam-images.asp?cam=shore

As for flashing strobe, or tank light, I agree a non flashing but easy to recognise light is what is needed. Maybe a amber light would be suitable or a 2 colour version.
I hate the scrum at the end of a boat night dive. Shore diving in the evening is so much more civilised.

victor:
Roatan Man
That link (cocoview) should be defined as cruel and unusual punishment against brits on a wet,windy,dank,cold,english day. Have a look at some of the live webcams of the british shore and you will see what I mean. http://www.seabird.org/web-cam-images.asp?cam=shore.

I just went and looked. Is it always raining?

RoatanMan:
In Cayman, aint nobody gettin' in the water without a DM. Not during the day, a for sure not at night.
Since when? There's no DM on a shore dive, and while there will be one in the water on a boat dive it doesn't always mean you are with them unless you want to be.

Happy2BMe:
My husband and I got our open water certifications a few weeks ago and have the good fortune to be going to Grand Cayman next week. I was talking to one of the instructors at my dive shop, who said to be sure and get in a night dive while we're there. He gave me names of some dive shops he's used there, but said we didn't need a DM to dive with us. I said, "Even on the night dive?" He said, "Nah - you'll be fine... Diving in Cayman is pretty safe, even for beginners..." I was pretty surprised, because I've never done a night dive... In fact, I've only done my five open-water certification dives. Is it really safe to do this on our own? If not, please tell me what I need to ask for... Thanks!

Well, you don't need a DM if you do a dive in the resort's pool ...:D

Seriously, I'd get a DM for your first night dive even in shallow, tame conditions. Your instructor was right about one thing .... definitely do a night dive.

Check out this recent post:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1699463#post1699463

RoatanMan:
I just went and looked. Is it always raining?

At this time of year it is always cold, sometimes cold and wet, normally cold and windy and wet. The wind is whistling through the gaps in the doubleglazing.

Do I want to be here or there? THERE

:banghead:

I did my first night dive early in my diving too, and let me tell you..... you want a DM with you for SURE! Nothing can be more frightening than loosing your way underwater, that possibility only increases at night. In fact, on that first night dive, we finished our dive back at the boat and I remember thinking...."How did we get back here." It's so much more relaxing and pleasent to have a DM worry about navigation.

Since I am a Instructor in Kenting Taiwan I find it odd that your Instructor would have told you something like you don't need a guide for your night dive considering the fact that you are new divers. I think your Instructor was wrong on this point and I am pretty sure that all diving organizations say that you should have a guide every time you go somewhere new and especially on a night dive and especially considering the fact that you are new divers.

u-dive

U-Dive Scuba Taiwan:
Since I am a Instructor in Kenting Taiwan I find it odd that your Instructor would have told you something like you don't need a guide for your night dive considering the fact that you are new divers. I think your Instructor was wrong on this point and I am pretty sure that all diving organizations say that you should have a guide every time you go somewhere new and especially on a night dive and especially considering the fact that you are new divers.

u-dive
This instructor agrees ... you absolutely will want a professional along for your first night dive. It's simple common-sense safety ... diving at night is wonderful, but it can be disorienting for the beginner. It's far better to have someone along who can help you avoid some common pitfalls, make sure you're properly equipped, and help you find your way around. It will almost certainly be the difference between having a wonderful time or getting out of the water early, wondering why you did this.

[digression]
I have always wanted to dive in Kenting ... the last time I was there was before I learned how to dive, and I thorougly enjoyed spending a day wandering around the park. If the underworld is as nice as it looks from above the surface, it's a wonderful place indeed. Someday I will return ... with scuba gear ... :D
[/digression]

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Get a DM and do the night dive :D I just certified some students last week and we did a fun dive day after two days of certification dives. We offered them the chance to do a night dive (Ginnie Springs) and they said it was the coolest thing they had done so far and were glad they went. Just because you're new doesn't mean you'll have problems finding interesting things, one of my divers kept finding small flounder (I think I found 4 LOL!). Having a guide and a good pre-dive briefing will ease your anxiety and allow you to enjoy yourself.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom