Night Dive for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using a DM on the dive will make it more fun for you and that is the name of the game. The DM can make sure your set up and comfortable. They will be able to show you many things you might miss on your own.

My second night dive I set my light on the bottom to take a picture. I picked up my light a few seconds later I noticed I did not click my camera back in place. Rather than making a mad dash for the surface after it (65 ft down, would have been a good idea), Iigured someone in Scotland would find it in a few months. :wink: After the dive the captain saw the light on the back of the flash, backed the boat up and I picked up. Boy did he get a big tip that trip!!

Enjoy your night dives, even very experiences divers can have difficulties in unfamiliar settings.

Flea

I agree that a DM would probably be the best course of action for your first night dive. That goes double if you're not confident in your navigation skills yet and you're diving from a boat. It'll just make it that much more enjoyable for you.

As for being too soon after OW, nah, you could be doing a night dive as your 5th dive ever if you elect to in an AOW class which you can start taking the second you pass your OW test. It really just depends on how you feel in the water as to when you'll be ready for it. If you're comfortable in the water then absolutely give it a try.

Is it worth it? Hell yes!!! Let me repeat that Hell Yes!!! Some of the coolest stuff only comes out at night.

Jason Ooi:
You have to know the environment entry and exit point use hand signal in knight dive and underwater touch as well.
If would be better with DM.

Can't agree more. Not only will it be more safe but certainly more enjoyable too!!!

Recalling my very first night dive, don't think you will actually be enjoying the night dives (psychologically) without a DM with you down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom