Night Dive for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely if youre qualified to dive you can dive without a guide/hand holder ?

Night diving isnt exactly difficult.

String:
Surely if youre qualified to dive you can dive without a guide/hand holder ?Night diving isnt exactly difficult.

You are missing the point. When one night dives Cayman (assuming that we're talking about from a boat), have no doubt, there will be a DM there just to make sure everyone gets out of the pool before the 30 minute horn sounds.

Is it safe? (Marathon Man). Oh yes, it's very safe... at Cayman.

{So, String, are you in Wales or inside of one?}

String:
Surely if youre qualified to dive you can dive without a guide/hand holder ?

Night diving isnt exactly difficult.
You're qualified to dive in conditions similar to those in which you were trained. There's nothing wrong with a couple of people fresh out of OW using a guide or DM when diving in conditions they have never experienced. That is actually what the OW books recommend and it's even a question on the NAUI exam.

Ber :lilbunny:

String, I think that's a little harsh. Some of us have some problems with disorientation in the dark, and navigation can be more challenging when you can't make out the details of your surroundings as well. I think going with a DM would relieve these folks of the anxiety of getting lost or turned around, and allow them to relax and focus on applying their new diving skills in different conditions.

I remember my first night dive and was very glad it was with a guide. Nothing bad happened, but it is such a different experience that it helps to have someone with you that knows what they are doing. Can't imagine going on your first night dive without a DM - way too many new things to deal with particularly for a new diver. Go with the DM you will love it, money well spent.

On a different front - hate light sticks for tank lights and ops that require them - one of the highlights of my first night dive was the DM gathering the group together and having us all kneel in the sand and turn our lights off. Don't remember exactly what was causing it, but we were surrounded by little moving flashing lights - some kind of bioluminesant creature. Would not have been possible with light sticks.

A night dive is no different to normal diving, especially those that dive in low vis or where its dark in the daytime so i cant really see any need to have someone "teach" it to qualified divers. Most of it is common sense regarding dive practice, a bit of reading up to get signals etc and equipment. All things certified divers should be aware of.

Theres a worrying trend of divers certified but then request a DM for everything new post qualification - it does make you wonder about the quality of training at times or maybe its just agency scaremongering tactics to sell more courses.

Right ive said my bit. FWIW My first night dive in the UK was with 2 others that had never done it before. We found no difference at all regarding dive practice and no problems.

Like most things it depends on the people and the location. I agree night diving is much less likely to be a problem for someone with some experience diving in low viz and generally worse conditions to begin with. Especially if they're relaxed and not freaked out about it. I've had better viz by moonlight in the Carribean than I did sometimes during the day at home.

That said, I got certified and used to dive in New England, and I did my first night dives there, and I was a mess on the first 1 or 2!

Glad to hear that some folks consider night diving "magical". I'm doing one shortly because it is required but I have little desire to descend into a black body of water and then figure out where the hell the boat is using only a flashlight! Also biasing my views is the impression I have that others who do night diving are succumbing to the belief that it is the thing to do.

My sixth dive after getting certified was a night/wreck dive. I dove with a friend who is a DM that was familiar with the area. It is extremely cool and different. BUT it did take me about five minutes to psych myself up to get into the water. The surface looks like amazingly like INK. I loved it though and can't wait to do another one.

As with any dive...don't do it if you are not comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom