Night Dive for Goliaths, Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are also interested in a night drop for the goliaths. Are there any divers willing to undertake this with us so we can try to arrange a boat? Did this last year on the Zion and it was amazing.

Guy

Any time the next 3-4 weeks, up to the next new moon, which should basically mark the end of the season (but new moon seems to be peak spawning activity.

From our experience last year, these are challenging dives after dark, strong current, and drifting safety stop in the dark. We need ideal conditions and divers ready to go. It was unforgettable for us last year.

I will check with operators to find those willing to run such a trip and what qualifications they might require.

Guy: I sent you a PM: I'm interested.

For the night dive, a good drop by the boat captain will be important. I've done a night dive on the Mizpah and it was very enjoyable but we were lead by an in-water DM that was very familiar with the site. The Zion Train would be an awesome night dive as well but the drop is probably even more critical at that site given the current can be even stiffer in Jupiter!

When you did your wreck night dive last year, were you on the Zion Train??

I think I should give some flavor as to what this would be like as it seems not many folks have done this at night.

We were on the Zion with Jim Abernethy's shop. This was a dedicated photo expedition to try catch the actual act of spawning. There were four buddy teams. The original dive plan was to place a mooring buoy and descend/ascend on the line. However, the current was so strong that the group expressed a preference for a hot drop drifting into the wreck, and a drifting safety stop/pickup at the end. Everything went fine and all divers hit the wreck first time (if they missed they could be picked up for a second attempt). Navigating betweent the various wrecks was a challenge with the current, which was too fast to swim against. Maribi and I had to "crawl" on the sand between the Zion and the Jenny (we spent some time at each), and no one could get to the Bonaire tand back to the Zion except two dive teams with very large scooters. Maribi and I decided it was too risky to try for the Bonaire with current because if we missed the Bonaire by even a little our dive would be over and we would have to surface. It was a struggle to use and move around with camera gear in the current over the sandy bottom (where a lot of Goliaths were), but in the wrecks it was fine. Another team staked out protected positions behind the Zion for the duration of the dive. The dive went without incident for everyone (although no one got the shot--but almost!), and the drifting safety stop and pickup also went fine. That being said, it was a challenging dive "on the edge" even for some of the highly experienced divers. As you can see every team had its own strategies (and specialized gear) for handling the dive. I think Dan Volker has a write-up on SFDJ about this dive or a similar one. It captures the sheer intensity of the experience.

I offer this description to give a flavor for what this will be like. It is intense and demands full concentration all the time.

We did enjoy flat calm conditions and excellent vis. The main stress/risk factor was the current and diving at midnight. This is the type of dive where people need to be ready to call it off if conditions are not optimal and settle for a reef dive instead. For best vis high tide is best, but that is also when current might be highest.

Sounds fun but my dive buddies wouldn't be up for it...and I won't do it without them.

I have found two ops, JimAbernethy and ScubaWorks, who would be willing to run the night trips. Both require a minimum of 6 people. They require either AOL or proof of several dives on deeper wrecks, or if they know you personally from diving with them previously. Scheduling can be arranged but I want to see if we have 6 people before going further. So far, I have my wife and I, Amy, Chase and Rich. That makes five who have expressed interest. As for scheduling, I am thinking near or at the next full moon around Sept 4, or the next new moon around Sept 18, a couple of nights before or after would work also. That seems to be the peak spawning activity and largest concentrations.

Kevin, you can go to South Florida Dive Journal and look for the goliath video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom