Next Up Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looks like I am headed to Rotan for 2 weeks at the end of January and will probably stay and dive in West End. Except for meals, its dirt cheap and lots of fun.

Does anyone know of any major changes down there since last spring?

Also, I am looking for new ideas. Not the high visibility expensive stuff like Coco View, BIBR or Anthony's Key, and I am burned out on FI.

Anyone know about Sea Grape or anything else up that end of the road?

Sorry about the SP on the title, but I cant seem to change it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just passed through west end and am staying on Utilia. Can report that it is not very busy now with the economic slump

Thanks Kathydeee. My experience with Roatan is the weather is really uncertain until about 2 weeks after Xmas, so that is part of it as well. Coz seemed a bit uncrowded two weeks ago. I am guessing dive travel will be off about 10 to 20% worldwide in 2009. Liveaboards might squeak through because they mostly book far in advance, as will some of the more popular resorts.

Cocolobo is more than I want to spend. Posada las Orquideas is owned by the same Argentinians that have Arco Iris, where I have previously stayed and am considering returning to.

I found out that Helen, the dive shop manager at Pura Vida has returned to Sweden.

Bump,

I can't wait, just 3 weeks.

I always stay down that way in West End. Very quiet but still really easy to get to my buddies at Coconut Tree. Burke's Place is no frills, but clean and comfortable and the cheapest listed in "Honduras Tips". It's my home on Roatan and I'm there a lot!

i'm heading to roatan on the 14th. we're renting a condo on sandy bay near AKR.

can anyone recommend a dive operation that would offer a package like:
- unlimited shore dive
- 3-5 boat dives
- 1/2 night dives
- nitrox

this is my first trip to there (and new to diving); the web info seems a little weak. the condo rental folks recommended octopus dive school, but i'm a little hesitant to take a recommendation from someone taking my money for lodging. thanks, mk

mk706,

I don't know of anything like what you mention. In all of my many trips to Roatan, the only shore diving was the inlet between Fantasy Island and CoCo View. There was some available at AKR, but few took advantage of it. There are a few good dive shops in West End which is not far from Sandy Bay. I have personally used Pura Vida because they had a lower price without gear rentals and I liked the manager who has since left the island. Native Sons and Coconut Tree are mentioned frequently around here. I never dove with either, but both have presentable shops and look organized. Most of the shops do 2 morning fun dives. The afternoon trip will be close in and mainly geared to students, but they are happy to take you out if you want to rack up a lot of dives. The shops will do one or two night dives a week. For the most part it is $30 per dive, unless you do less than 5, with night dives around $40. Ordinarily, there are no packages. There is not much Nitrox around, but you can get it.

Honestly, from the type of diving you are looking for, you really need to be at a dedicated dive resort. Perhaps you can make a deal with AKR or one of the others in that vicinity. The situation in West End is laid back and not as serious about the diving. By the way, nearly all dives in Roatan end in shallow water with profiles where Nitrox is not any sort of a real advantage.

Most of the dive shops in West End offer 3 daily dives, Coconut Tree offers 4, as far a shore diving, there's not really anywhere close enough to the reef to make shore diving a safe/easy option on the North/West side. Coco View and Fantasy Island are the better choices if shore diving is a must for you.

There are quite a few shops in West End offering Nitrox,
Coconut Tree Divers
Pura Vida
Sueno Del Mar
West End Divers
There may be others also, but these are the ones I know for sure have it.
Octopus dive school is at the Blue Bahia resort and the owner has been around on Roatan for a about 5-6 yrs so should know what she is doing. There have recently been price increases for the diving in the West End. Package of 10 dives us$300. For a single dive now with equipment the price is us$35. For night dives add us$10 to your dive price. Happy New Year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom