Next step / possible training to pursue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cdncoldwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm having a bit of a dilemma. My Wreck Diving course has been delayed twice, originally 2020 bumped twice so now 2022 and I'm feeling a bit stagnate. I am primarily a PADI rec diver with a few SDI courses as well. Highest certification is SDI Solo and PADI Self Reliant Diver and also a PADI "Master Scuba Diver"; I dive primarily side mount due to a back injury/condition. Other courses done are AOW, Nitrox, Drysuit, O2 Provider, Rescue, Rec Side Mount, Zombie Apocalypse (fun actually and some line work). Already comfortable with search and good at navigation.

I have been offered and debated Tech Side Mount for skill work and IANTD Rec Trimix but have dismissed them as I don't plan on diving with stages and the opportunity / frequency and cost / availability of Trimix would result in a rarely if ever used qualification, something I strongly dislike.

What should I pursue without:
A) Going Pro;
B) Going "full" Tech; or
C) Just dive and work on skills?

Please note GUE, CMAS, RAID and some other agencies aren't available to me without extensive (expensive) travel.

Why don’t you do TDI AN/DP or PADI tec? I’m assuming you’ve got those available? Normally I wouldn't suggest PADI “tec” (the cutesy spelling puts my teeth on edge), but since you’re not totally interested in tech, perhaps that might pique your interest. I’m assuming you’re good to 150ft/45m without needing helium (unlike me).

My first tech course TDI - AN/DP was the best course I ever took.
The biggest advancement in skills by far.
Even if you don’t plan on doing tech dives I would always recommend a tech class just for the skill development.

I’m sort of unsure what your asking.
You have done the majority of the rec classes shy of wreck but that’s in the works and dont want to go pro or do tech classes.
just go dive and enjoy it I guess

What should I pursue without:
A) Going Pro;
B) Going "full" Tech; or
C) Just dive and work on skills?
Not a lot you can try except breather but that is expensive and not sure if your back can handle that.

Save all the money and spend a month in Truk if/when it is opened.

Why don’t you do TDI AN/DP or PADI tec? I’m assuming you’ve got those available? Normally I wouldn't suggest PADI “tec” (the cutesy spelling puts my teeth on edge), but since you’re not totally interested in tech, perhaps that might pique your interest. I’m assuming you’re good to 150ft/45m without needing helium (unlike me).
I have TDI available, I thought you need ITT or similar for AN/DP? I was initially looking at Tech Side Mount as a possible skill builder.

I have TDI available, I thought you need ITT or similar for AN/DP? I was initially looking at Tech Side Mount as a possible skill builder.

It’s not really necessary. But I can tell you from recent experience that wrangling a deco bottle SM was quite challenging. If you don’t do the TDI tech SM class, then find an instructor experienced in tech SM diving to help you get the deco bottle thing squared away before AN/DP. Might be less challenging for you, but rigging the bottle and getting it to ride correctly are easiest with some assistance from someone knowledgeable.

Where in the Atlantic region are you located? I know a guy in Nova Scotia that may be able to be a good resource, trainer, and mentor.

Where in the Atlantic region are you located? I know a guy in Nova Scotia that may be able to be a good resource, trainer, and mentor.
Fredericton region, I have folks in the area that are very good and hence very busy lol.

It’s not really necessary. But I can tell you from recent experience that wrangling a deco bottle SM was quite challenging. If you don’t do the TDI tech SM class, then find an instructor experienced in tech SM diving to help you get the deco bottle thing squared away before AN/DP. Might be less challenging for you, but rigging the bottle and getting it to ride correctly are easiest with some assistance from someone knowledgeable.
It was suggested that I could do Tech Side Mount without the ITT from the chief instructor I know; I just don't know if doing a course I won't use is worth the cash and time. I suspect wrangling deco bottles could be a challenge as well.

It was suggested that I could do Tech Side Mount without the ITT from the chief instructor I know; I just don't know if doing a course I won't use is worth the cash and time. I suspect wrangling deco bottles could be a challenge as well.

ITT is for BM doubles. TDI Tech SM is essentially ITT for SM divers. At least that’s what I was told.

I don’t know why someone would do tech SM without including deco bottle handling as that really is the main difference between the non-tech SM class.

Maybe just do a session or two with instructor of your choice just to refine your diving? No card involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom