Newspaper article on Philippine coral reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair to all concerned, Chip is generally an acknowledged prick. In this instance, however, he appears to be a mere prickette in the presence of a true master of pricketry.

I never thought I'd see the day!

Oh, and I dived Verde 3 times in two weeks this April - as good as it's ever been in my 15 years of (sorry) EXPERIENCE of diving there.

:)

White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant......I'm just catching up.....wow, I have been missing a good thread this whole time......darn. Centers of marine diversity and the like too...wow....this thread rocks! I LOVE YOU GUYS! It is safe to say "WE GOT US SOME GREAT DIVING!"

Verde always rocks!

I must agree. I dove Verde last year 2 times, and if that is a site that is degraded... I can't even imagine how good it was beforehand! It was incredible... But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about...:eyebrow::eyebrow::rofl3: Us Canadian/ Québécois divers don't have a very good reputation...:mooner:

To be fair to all concerned, Chip is generally an acknowledged prick. In this instance, however, he appears to be a mere prickette in the presence of a true master of pricketry.

I never thought I'd see the day!

Oh, and I dived Verde 3 times in two weeks this April - as good as it's ever been in my 15 years of (sorry) EXPERIENCE of diving there.

:)

I must agree. I dove Verde last year 2 times, and if that is a site that is degraded... I can't even imagine how good it was beforehand! It was incredible... But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about...:eyebrow::eyebrow::rofl3: Us Canadian/ Québécois divers don't have a very good reputation...:mooner:

Yeah, FROGS don't know nuthin'

Hi BD, how is your reef dome project going, I have not seen anything on it for a while!
Here in Sarangani, the evil constructor of the Coal Fired Power Plant says they will deploy 500 domes in order to show that they are really green and environmentally friendly! What a load of Crap!

I'm kinda sad that WWD didn't take a stab at the question I posed. It's actually a trick question. :)

The wallacea phenomenon applies to terrestrial organisms. A 2000 Nature paper showed that it doesn't exist for marine organisms. IIRC, they analyzed 3 species of mantis shrimp and showed a dispersal pattern inconsistent of a wallacea line. Biogeography was hypothesized to be the reason. I'm currently travelling around so I can't look up the reference, but will once I get settled back. edit: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v406/n6797/full/406692a0.html

The truth is, WWD is arguing a moot point - there are many places in the coral triangle that have shown to the epicenter, depending on the data set analyzed.

A 2007 paper reviews these data sets. Follow the link if interested, to download click on the small "Save file to your PC: click here". In good faith, I would have posted the article anyway, regardless of WWD's answer. :)

2shared - download coral triangle centre biodiversity.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah....right.....uh.....ok.....it is all chinese to me.

LET'S GO DIVING!

I'm kinda sad that WWD didn't take a stab at the question I posed. It's actually a trick question. :)

The wallacea phenomenon applies to terrestrial organisms. A 2000 Nature paper showed that it doesn't exist for marine organisms. IIRC, they analyzed 3 species of mantis shrimp and showed a dispersal pattern inconsistent of a wallacea line. Biogeography was hypothesized to be the reason. I'm currently travelling around so I can't look up the reference, but will once I get settled back. edit: Access : Biogeography: A marine Wallace's line? : Nature

The truth is, WWD is arguing a moot point - there are many places in the coral triangle that have shown to the epicenter, depending on the data set analyzed.

A 2007 paper reviews these data sets. Follow the link if interested, to download click on the small "Save file to your PC: click here". In good faith, I would have posted the article anyway, regardless of WWD's answer. :)

2shared - download coral triangle centre biodiversity.pdf
nerd

Jag

***! I've been missing a lot! It's fun reading this thread.

Let's see what we can learn from the posts?

1. PI's coral reefs are in trouble
2. We need to take action to help improve the situation
3. Reef domes in Saranggani is doing well
4. Caloy loves beer
5. Jag is a hijacker
6. Chip is prick
7. WWD is... whatever!

I don't mind wheter it's Verde or Celebes (or even Pasig River) that's in the center of marine biodiversity. So long as it's still in the Philippines. I believe what we can do is simply take small steps in giving our share of help in saving this paradise that we call Philippines. Instead of whining and bragging that some dive locations are better than others, why not share your experience and come up with some helpful solutions?

7. WWD is... whatever!

a TOOL!

i remember reading that somewhere.. (not really sure what that means.. but wanted to show off my RETENTION [ref: other thread] abilities)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom