Newspaper article on Philippine coral reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by World Wide Diver
HAY GUYS SINCE THE CELEBES SEA IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CORAL TRIANGLE THIS MUST BE WHERE THE HIGHEST BIODIVERSITY IS LOCATED. I HAZ A MAP, OK?

Finally, as you have misrepresented me on this board in a way to make ridicule, then I kindly ask that the moderator of this forum look into this matter.

I did not post the above, and this was fabricated by Chip104.

Chip104 intended to cause offence by his post.

Therefore, as Chip104 misrepresented me and posted info - which I clearly did not post on this forum, then I request that the Moderator - at least - remove his posts.

If I, he or anyone - can post a comment in the name of others - falsely, then what is the value of this forum????

IUCN - Rich Marine Life in the Heart of Southeast Asia's Coral Triangle Protected

"The Verde Island sea passage, between the Philippine island of Mindoro and Batangas province, has been identified as the “centre of the centre” of the world’s marine shorefish diversity in a study by Kent Carpenter, IUCN Global Marine Species Assessment co-ordinator, and Victor Springer of the Smithsonian Institute."

obviously geographically its all quite close between Verde and Mindanao etc so a species here or a species there is not really much now is it? Who has the healthiest biodiversity? thats a better question..

Bloody meddling Canadians!!!!

Chip you and that other fella.. tsk!

Finally, as you have misrepresented me on this board in a way to make ridicule, then I kindly ask that the moderator of this forum look into this matter.

Therefore, as Chip104 misrepresented me and posted info - which I clearly did not post on this forum, then I request that the Moderator - at least - remove his posts.

If I, he or anyone - can post a comment in the name of others - falsely, then what is the value of this forum????
oh please, stop being such a melodramatic whiner..

if you are going to dish it, be ready to take it. else take your toys and leave the sandbox...

The Verde Island sea passage, between the Philippine island of Mindoro and Batangas province, has been identified as the “centre of the centre” of the world’s marine shorefish diversity in a study by Kent Carpenter, IUCN Global Marine Species Assessment co-ordinator, and Victor Springer of the Smithsonian Institute.

Kent Carpenter has not made reports from places like Gensan, Maasim, Kiamba, Sangir, Jawi-Jawi and other areas within the Celebes Basin.

Fine - go (if you can) to the Verde Passage - which few divers/dive journalists have reported from - make some weblinks to here.

Fact remains that Kent Carpenter is one guy making a hypothesis, while many regard the Celebes Basisin as the 'Centre of the Centre'.

I can post links if you need to read.

wow, you're a not only a big whiner but you're also a hypocrite.

You have made offensive comments towards me regarding my background, where I live, and then resorted to name calling for no reason other than me contesting your idiotic statements.

I have not cried foul over your inflammatory posts. You, however, need some cheese with your whine. Really sheds light on the diminutive level of your intellect. Pathetic.

I'd rather have an argument with Paris Hilton on the socioeconomic implications of the Spicegirls.

edit:

^^^^ Jesus Christ, did you even bother to read the article? Can you even state the 5 hypothesis that researchers have used to determine the epicenter??? His article is the only one that counter argues all 5 of them.

Last edited:
ok, World Wide Diva.

Maybe I'll give you a chance.

Riddle me this - why do you and so called "many" regard the Celebes Sea Basin as the centre of the centre when the Wallacea line runs RIGHT THROUGH ITS MIDDLE?

If you can provide a decent answer for that, I will download and post for you a very comprehensive 2007 review of the coral triangle biodiversity.

If not, then we can all point and laugh at your silly post. I think that will provide enough entertainment for us for the next week.

Looking forward to your response.

regards,

chip104 aka that random prick on that random intarweb forum

ps I haz a map 2 halp u: http://www.freewebs.com/wallacea/wallacea.htm

wwd, you're a piece of ****... go to hell will you?

i think i speak for most of the PPD that we've grown pretty tired of your holier-than-though, white, anglo-saxon, pontifications...

in the words of your people F..K OFF!

i swear to god if someone deserves to be taken for a hike around the woods of basilan it should be you instead of some hapless red cross workers...

then again you'd probably piss them off by whining about how shoddily run a FILIPINO insurgency is as compared to your thousands of dives in hundreds of locations...

Jag

For others, please see PhilReefs on the Web - Home which gives very good info about Philippine coral reefs.

Verde Passage is very good, but does not have the recorded higher biodiversity of life for reefs fringing the Celebes Basin.

And, the Verde Passage marine life has been destroyed by blast fishing, tropical fish collection, overfishing and lack of protection (even though this area is closer to the capital of the Philippines than Mindanao). This area is recorded has having deteriorated badly over the past decade.

Verde Passage is also seldom visited by divers from this forum (or seems to be!) by those who like think that they can corroborate/report that this is the best place in the PI's (lack of info, photos, links, etc from them, etc - the norm BS reports).

Therefore, we - and others - can only believe what is written in reports about this area (as per weblink). We have dived many areas within the Celebes Basin and found these to be excellent. This is unlike some areas in the PI's (which we have dived) which are promoted by many as 'the best' but simply are not.

We compare these to the best dive sites in Micronesia, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippine Islands.

It all depends upon your experience and expectations. This is the bottom line.

But, for me, I want to dive the best areas in the World. This is why I stick my neck out and travel to/dive remote areas that most Filipinos do not know; more foreign divers come to these places then they do.

This is because people are scared to dive many areas.

this spouted by someone who has never been to PG or verde island. some expert you are...

Because:

Was not posted by me and makes you a prick.

Go Google 'prick' and see what you get; this is what you are. A 'prick'.

you're calling moderators on chip? i think the moderators may be more interested in your use of the word PRICK. and, oh, look who's talking? if we make a poll as to who is the biggest PRICK here, i'd bet my hayden camera collection that you'd win hands down, no contest.:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom