Newport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maine Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done Newport lately? I was wondering about the tropicals. Thinking of heading there this weekend for a couple of dives.

The tropicals are everywhere Newport,Jamestown.....they came in early this year, the water has been in the low 70's. Come on down!

We had a change of plans. We are going to Maine this weekend to dive Nubble. Hopefully next weekend we can hit RI.

Went during the New England Tropical Fish Rescue on August 29th. Weather was great however there more divers than I had ever seen. Visibility was absolutely crap unfortunately although water was quite warm.

Think we only found about 5-6 tropicals this year.

The tropicals are everywhere Newport,Jamestown.....they came in early this year, the water has been in the low 70's. Come on down!

Jordan

Have you noticed the nice repairs that have been done on the Wetherill Ramp.

Jordan

I was there Labor Day it looked the same to me. Steep and silppery. What repairs are you referring to? The ramp Kings Beach at Newport could use a good going over however.:D

Jordan

Hey John, what did they do to the ramp? The last time I was there with Chris and Earl the right hand side had a huge hole where it looked like an entire chunk fell off into the water. Definitely not ideal at the time but we made it. We were all talking about how badly it needed a face lift!

I'm taking a group of Scouts down this weekend to camp Fri/Sat night at Ft. Getty. Some of the Scouts are newly certified (to get New SCUBA Merit Badge) We'll be using Canoes, Snorkeling for Tropicals. This trip was planned way in advance so we're hoping seas cooperate. I'm setting expectation that vis will suck. I'm hoping there will be some shore accessible sites that will be calm and ok vis. Not the end of the world if diving/snorkeling doesn't happen. Can at least Canoe, swim.

Hoping someone knows what wetherill conditions are

Hey John, what did they do to the ramp? The last time I was there with Chris and Earl the right hand side had a huge hole where it looked like an entire chunk fell off into the water. Definitely not ideal at the time but we made it. We were all talking about how badly it needed a face lift!

Well, the hole is all filled in now. Thanks to the Phantom ramp repair crew :).

Well, the hole is all filled in now. Thanks to the Phantom ramp repair crew :).

OOOHHH! What a shame that needs to happen in the ocean state.

Good work! I'd forgotten about the hole. That must have been done early in the year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom