Newport Dive shop air fill cards not honored

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a heads up for divers who had air fill cards with the previous owner of Newport dive shop.

My husband and I stopped by to get tanks filled on a Sunday. We have been doing this for about 5 years. Upon entering the facilities we were greeted by the new owner who informed us we were not to carry our tanks to the back for a fill any longer. No biggie, he then informed us we had never been in this shop before...Odd ... Apparently he has purchased the shop from Tom (who is in federal prison) and he has thrown away the 18 thousand dollars in fill cards kept in the register. He informed us if we want our money back for the fill card we purchased to visit Tom in Federal prison. He did not try to keep our business, meet us half way or even fill one tank for half price. When we proceeded to walk out of the shop (after the entire shop of customers left in haste) with our empty tanks, he followed us outside yelling to us, implying we were on drugs looking to purchase them.

We had visited this shop and dealt with this man fall of 2011. He was pleasant at this time and honored my fill cards with no problems. Did not inform us of potential owner ship change and the fact he was not going to honor the cards when he purchased the shop. We would have used them up no problem we dive New England all year. The shop had our phone number on the fill cards, a heads up we needed to use them would have been good business practice and I would still be spending my money in his shop:D

Good times... Best of luck dealing with this man, and getting compensation for unused air cards.

Wow. I guess you were just one more step in his bad day. That's still no reason to treat you that way. Unless you were trying to buy drugs. :) Why is Tom is prison?

Ewwwww.

Good times... Best of luck dealing with this man, and getting compensation for unused air cards.

On the bright side, you can probably get a really good deal on a dive shop by spring.

Discarding $18K in air fill passes means he's probably pissed off each and every regular customer the shop had. It's quite ingenious and I'm not sure if I could have come up with a better way to destroy the business.

flots.

I thought that when someone bought a business, they acquired both the assets AND the liabilities (which purchased dive cards could be considered). Doubt this guy will be in business much longer with that attitude!

Depends on whether he bought the business, or just the assets and opened a "new" business.

In any case, I also doubt he'll succeed. Reputation can make or break a business, and he's off to a bad start.

I googled Newport dive shop and got a link for a Newport Diving Center but the website account was suspended.

I'd find another LDS and ask if they'll honor the fill card in exchange for your loyalty going forward.

I thought that when someone bought a business, they acquired both the assets AND the liabilities (which purchased dive cards could be considered). Doubt this guy will be in business much longer with that attitude!

All depends on the deal made on liabilities at close of purchase and what was in the contract. I know of other business sales that did not include liabilities (loans/payments due).

but I agree you. I doubt he'll be in business much longer with that attitude.

I mean this guy prob blew thousands in sales to each customer (over years time) all over a $5 air fill that is not an "itemized cost" to him.

Then to follow the lost customers out in the parking lot, yell at them, and make claims they are on drugs?

It all boils down to good customer service people will tell one or two people. Bad customer service and they will tell 10 or more people. With the internet now days, it really means they tell hundreds or thousands of people.

I was trying to buy my drugs! My drug of choice is Nitrogen =)

---------- Post Merged at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:54 PM ----------

I was trying to buy my drugs! My drug of choice is Nitrox =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom