Newly certified PADI Instructor in Asia available for seasonal teaching - NO SALARY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I am a university professor, I find Jim Lapenta's remarks about profession and integrity to be especially ironic. More to the point, that he publicly shines me in the same light as the netherworld of human trafficking is slanderous and hugely offensive to someone who's primary profession is to instruct and advise undergraduate and graduate students. As much I would like to return the favor, I am now bound by PADI's Code of Practice, wherein I agreed not to disparage other PADI members or even other dive industry professionals. I wonder if all the organizations with which Lapenta affiliates himself have similar membership commitments. Nonetheless, I am expecting an apology.

I guess I'll make one last contribution for the readers' sake, because I am very put off with the collective attitude and impugnment to my first teaching post.

Rationalize all you want, but there should be no issue with a new instructor willing to forgo a cheap salary in exchange for the real need to build a certification history and gain both practical and administrative experience beyond the IDC.

From where I'm sitting, you all are so absorbed in your knee-jerk reactions that you completely fail to see "salary" as just another edge used to kickstart a scuba teaching career. Having a fallback salary presently is no different than crafting a better resume, having more connections, or owning a pretty face.

My condolences to you so-called "paid professionals" who feel threatened by all the new PADI members who elect to ease themselves into the scuba teaching field using whatever resources and situational opportunities are available to make the transition. That you expect me to give a **** about your salary and job security when I have zero certifications to my name is naive. None of you have contributed any teaching opportunities, and in fact you are only intent on ensuring there are none.

If I have to work for little or no salary to get my foot in the door, then that's my prerogative.

From where I sit, BluEye (as a former university professor, former ministry of education senior lecturer, published author, and former board member of an important worldwide educational non-profit) you are the one rationalizing. When you respond with comments like
I see that reading and thinking disorders are still rampant.
you go a long way from making yourself marketable as it displays a remarkably unlikeable and arrogant attitude which is a negative attribute in a service industry like scuba tourism. And this from a psychology professor who should have some insight into effective communication and interpersonal relationships. Your angry outbursts are rather surprising, to be honest.

Why not simply admit that you hadn't considered how your colleagues would feel about your offer to work for free? Why not admit that you hadn't considered the work permit factor? I remember very clearly having the same impulse as you express when I was a newly certified instructor here on Phuket, saying I'd be happy to teach for free to gain some experience. I got quite similar reactions to those you've received here, and some of my colleagues set me straight. Of course I admitted that they made excellent points which hadn't entered my mind with my eagerness to get started, and I saw the error of my strategy, which is something you seem loath to do.

And contrary to your claim that nobody in this thread has contributed any employment opportunities, did you not read my recommendation that you join a volunteer organisation and teach scuba under their auspices? There's your opportunity to gain teaching experience, work for free, and do so legally.

Last edited:
Because I am a university professor, I find Jim Lapenta's remarks about profession and integrity to be especially ironic.

...integrity? And yet, you completely failed to address the issue of work permits that I raised....

You're asking for work in multiple countries, but obviously don't have any clue about the prerequisites for employment in those countries (I know you haven't, because some of those countries are prohibitive/impossible to get work permits to cover your intended employment).

Prepared to break the national laws of sovereign countries in which you are a guest - I do think that raises a red flag on the issue of personal integrity.

I am very put off with the collective attitude and impugnment to my first teaching post.

As an academic, I'm somewhat startled that you don't recognize a poignant trend in that...

Rationalize all you want, but there should be no issue with a new instructor willing to forgo a cheap salary in exchange for the real need to build a certification history and gain both practical and administrative experience beyond the IDC.

How would feel if newly qualified professors were given preference in employment/promotion at your place of work, simply because they wanted 'a foot in' at the outset of their career?

How would you feel if your establishment sacked its full-time professors and just hired a bunch of noob interns to fill teaching slots?

Would you walk home to tell your wife/kids that you're unemployed/unemployable...that it's time to pack and go home to your own country.. because your establishment had a glut of green professors lined up to take over jobs because they demanded zero financial recompense?

From where I'm sitting, you all are so absorbed in your knee-jerk reactions that you completely fail to see "salary" as just another edge used to kickstart a scuba teaching career.

From where I'm sitting, it just shows that you have zero enticement on your diving CV to get work. Somehow you feel 'entitled' to take a precious job in the industry and are willing to resort to pimping yourself ahead of your betters (those with substantially more skill, experience and qualification).

Why not demonstrate some ethics and confidence...and post a job search on the basis of your skills and experience? Or don't you have any?

My condolences to you so-called "paid professionals" who feel threatened by all the new PADI members...

I don't think most of those "so-called" pros contributing their advice to this thread feel threatened. Most are well established...and/or... are employers in the industry (guess you blew job prospects with those...and the substantial network those are connected to...LOL). Nobody told you that dive employment is all about 'who you know'. Doh!

My condolences for the extremely negative response you've encountered. Be prepared for a lot worse...a lot more intense... reaction in real life should you actually get an un-paid job. You won't have many friends around the place....

None of you have contributed any teaching opportunities, and in fact you are only intent on ensuring there are none.

I've managed several dive centers across S.E.Asia... and have employed numerous instructors. I've always made decisions to hire based on the relative merits of the instructor's resume. I'm sorry you find that 'unfair'. You seem to have a vast sense of entitlement. Best of luck with that...

If I have to work for little or no salary to get my foot in the door, then that's my prerogative.

I guess that's a fair recourse if you have zero potential to offer anyone...

if-you-re-good-at-something-never-do-it-for-free-111.jpg

Unfortunately I do not believe in any code of silence among professionals. Especially when that code allows those who would devalue, denigrate, demean, and create an atmosphere where others could be taken advantage of. This is why DM's are often treated as indentured servants. Due to the glut of "professionals" that will work for free. The same goes for the instructors I see cutting corners and issuing certs to people who have no business in the water. I will ID them and discourage people from using them.
I also do not apologize for the trafficking remark as many of them look for people who will take low or no pay jobs in exchange for room, board, and expenses. And then find themselves trapped in virtual slavery. So why would an unsavory resort op that imports low paid help from other countries not want someone willing to do it knowingly?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

In general it is frowned on to work free at a job that is normally paid. You damage the industry for those who actually do it for a paid living.

OW instruction is pretty much free even if you get paid for it. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

If I figured out my income and expenses for teaching, I'm not sure I actually come out ahead at all.

flots.

I see that reading and thinking disorders are still rampant.

I am offering to teach for only five weeks maximum. And in return I basically get free diving accommodations, tanks, etc. during my paid holiday vacation. I know for a fact that many new Instructors often do their first few certifications for free, so you'll have to excuse me if I blow off most of your lecturing as misguided presumption.

Actually now that I re-read these comments, I think they are rude and malicious.

You may want to retract your high-handed naivety when you actually gain some workplace experience.

For the time-being, you are behaving like a muppet.

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Because I am a university professor, I find Jim Lapenta's remarks about profession and integrity to be especially ironic. More to the point, that he publicly shines me in the same light as the netherworld of human trafficking is slanderous and hugely offensive to someone who's primary profession is to instruct and advise undergraduate and graduate students. As much I would like to return the favor, I am now bound by PADI's Code of Practice, wherein I agreed not to disparage other PADI members or even other dive industry professionals. I wonder if all the organizations with which Lapenta affiliates himself have similar membership commitments. Nonetheless, I am expecting an apology.

I guess I'll make one last contribution for the readers' sake, because I am very put off with the collective attitude and impugnment to my first teaching post.

From where I'm sitting, you all are so absorbed in your knee-jerk reactions that you completely fail to see "salary" as just another edge used to kickstart a scuba teaching career. Having a fallback salary presently is no different than crafting a better resume, having more connections, or owning a pretty face.

My condolences to you so-called "paid professionals" who feel threatened by all the new PADI members who elect to ease themselves into the scuba teaching field using whatever resources and situational opportunities are available to make the transition. That you expect me to give a **** about your salary and job security when I have zero certifications to my name is naive. None of you have contributed any teaching opportunities, and in fact you are only intent on ensuring there are none.

OK, so now you have moved yourself from muppet to pompous, self-righteous ass. As an industry professional, you are off to a poor start, and the attitude you've shown typifies exactly what we do NOT need from our instructors and dive leaders. Judging by what I've read, I would be reluctant to have you lead a splash about in a kid's wading pool.

For the record, there were ways to post your request, which would not have raised ire. You would have gotten across your point and perhaps engaged some suggestions and help, but you did not manage that.

When this was pointed out to you, you have the bloody nerve to throw a bunch of bull**** credentials up as some sort of shield to hid your embarrassingly silly logic and unprofessional behavior.

Rather than an apology from Jim -- and others whose skills and dedication as instructors you'd do well to aspire to -- it is you who should retract and apologize.

I am also interested in your take on the work-permit conundrum. What's your stance on cheap, illegal prostitution?

Last edited:
Salted please.

And layer the butter. None of that flavored oil crap.

---------- Post added September 12th, 2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

I do not require a diving salary now, so there's good opportunity for maximum profit margins on your DSD, OW or Nitrox courses :wink: I really only require meals, great diving, and a private room for the duration.

Good luck with that.

If you're also a diesel mechanic, a great cook, a medic and speak several languages, you can probably find a nice job. Otherwise you're competing with every other diver in the world who bought into the "be an instructor, get rich and see the world" scam.

In any case, nobody wants to hire an employee for a few weeks. It takes longer than that just to figure out what you're doing.

flots.

Last edited:
I think what the OP is actually looking for is something more akin to the 'MSDT Internships' run in places like Thailand. Of course, people actually PAY to take part in those [courses]. They tend to be popular among the larger IDC centers... and give the opportunity to assist and learn from experienced instructor/s, whilst also undertaking 5+ specialty training courses. The interns are normally 'gifted' the certifications they assist upon - to help them reach the totals needed for MSDT status.

Of course, such internships are dime-a-dozen... and are recognized as such by the industry when it comes to resume construction. However, being a (paid for) assistant doesn't confuse the situation regards 'trumping' existing instructors for jobs... and is the sort of 'fun' experience a dilettante instructor might enjoy.

OW instruction is pretty much free even if you get paid for it. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

If I figured out my income and expenses for teaching, I'm not sure I actually come out ahead at all.

flots.

Not in all markets, but in those where your statement is true, the genesis of the "problem" is instructors, shops and facilities who offer cut-price training... who in effect, regard basic training as a lost leader. This is made possible by "instructors" who are willing to work for free to build their experience, which when you examine it, is lillogical. Why on earth would we allow punters from the street who are the most difficult to teach AND TO RETAIN AS SAFE, ENGAGED DIVERS to newly-minted instructors like blue eyes who have questionable ethics and no concept of how their cavalier attitude is at the seat of much of what is wonky with the industry.

In general, the public's perception of the value of something they are being asked to buy is negatively effected by a bloody great big sticker that says: SALE, CUT-PRICE, 50% OFF or FREE.

This is a situation created by folks who love diving but who have bugger-all business sense, opening dive shops, and major sport certification agencies pushing zero-to-hero certifications that put the emphasis of cheap rather than valuable. This is as true for instructor certs as it is for those handed out to divers who really need remedial work before they get near the water.

Find me a golf pro who is willing to work for nothing... and I'll cut Mr. or Ms University Professor some slack... until then

I guess that's a fair recourse if you have zero potential to offer anyone...

Isn't that the truth? My wife and I just yesterday were laughing at a Craigslist ad where a guy was trying to get work as a tattoo artist. His ad states:

"Just recently moved out here from Texas.
Need to build my tattoo portfolio. I don't really
Know what the tatt scene is like out here, but
whatever it is, I aim to put my Name and
skill out there. I am giving more than
Fair prices. Mainly do black and grey wash,
But I can do cover ups and color as well. If
U have been looking to get work done, I'm
Ur man. All new, sterile, and disposable supplies.
Thanks in Advance for ur support and buisness."

Even this guy sounds like he charges, but with no potential, I'm not sure why.

Everyone else hit the nail on the head so no point in repeating it. ALTHOUGH I especially loved "I'm expecting an apology (from Jim Lapenta)". Lol. You've got better odds getting that private room and being "hired" with zero experience. Hope he wasn't holding his breath for that apology. Maybe that's why we haven't heard from him recently...

Back
Top Bottom