Newly certified PADI Instructor in Asia available for seasonal teaching - NO SALARY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluEye Diver

Registered
Reaction score
In real life I teach university just outside of Taipei; in my preferred life I am usually diving in the Philippines, Indonesia or Thailand during my long summer (July/August) and winter (Jan/Feb) holidays. I spent this past summer break in Bali becoming a PADI Instructor (with EANx and Deep Specialty Instructor certification) so that I could begin a seasonal career teaching scuba diving to others.

In Jan/Feb I will be free for 5 weeks, and since I'll probably be planning a diving trip anyway, why not start getting some real teaching experience, too! I do not require a diving salary now, so there's good opportunity for maximum profit margins on your DSD, OW or Nitrox courses :wink: I really only require meals, great diving, and a private room for the duration.

Incidentally, I love liveaboard diving, so I would be pleased to talk with any vessel operators in Asia who may need high-season help.

Just made a bookmark to this thread. Next time someone wants to know how much an Instructor/DM makes, I'm going to link here.

The industry in South East Asia is already flooded with expats who were sold the dream and will work for a bowl of rice and a six pack of beer a day. At great cost to quality of instruction...

Saying openly you will go in for free is not going to get many kudos around here.

If you are going to provide quality instruction, why would you do so for free ? Do you realize that you won't be doing much diving for yourself when you are in the game as an instructor ? Waiting for your students to let go of the descent line and hearing the same lines over and over about their fear to remove their mask will get old real quick.

Employers are looking at this and saying "I'll likely get what I pay for."
Thanks for denigrating and devaluing the cert, the profession, and yourself. There are probably some human traffickers that would like to talk to you.

I see that reading and thinking disorders are still rampant.

I am offering to teach for only five weeks maximum. And in return I basically get free diving accommodations, tanks, etc. during my paid holiday vacation. I know for a fact that many new Instructors often do their first few certifications for free, so you'll have to excuse me if I blow off most of your lecturing as misguided presumption.

Actually now that I re-read these comments, I think they are rude and malicious.

You need to remember BluEye, that you are hearing from people who have a serious commitment to the industry as paid professionals. When you offer to work for free, you take work from the rest of us, many who actually do not have a fall-back job when we're not on holiday. How would you react if some recent PhD came to your university and offered to teach your courses at no salary and as a result you were put on unpaid leave for a semester? Furthermore, DevonDiver is correct that in order to work in any country in SE Asia legally, even for in-kind compensation such as room and board, you need to possess a work permit, and these are neither quick nor cheap to obtain. Certainly no employer is going to pony up to do this for a 5-week-parachute-in-and-swoop-out instructor--I know I wouldn't, particularly for an inexperienced instructor who is not familiar with our local diving. Are you willing to finance your own work permit to work legally? Or are you not only wanting to take work away from serious professionals but also do so illegally?

My recommendation to you, if you really want to do some work for free, would be to join a volunteer organisation and teach scuba within that framework. There are groups that work with children at camps or with disadvantaged locals that might be willing to take on an inexperienced instructor for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom