Newly Certified BOW needing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainbowgirl2008

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I just finished my BOW. I actually had an awesome instructor. He got me through my anxiety and clausterphobia. I have had 4 great dives. My problem is I have both physical medical issues and mental health issues, that have caused me to be on disability. This hurts when it comes to wanting to go out to dive. My certification was actually given to me probono. Getting gear to go dive is causeing me trouble. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could get gear? I overheard my instructor talking to the vet guys about Shake a leg, but I think that is only for vets. Please help.

I'm in a similar situation myself. Just physical issues. and also on a limited budget and on a disability type thing as well. Hopefully people have some suggestions

There are organizations that give grants to disabled for sports equipment. You will have to google for your state to locate them. renting usually runs 45-65 a day for all the gear and you can buy a little at a time. I would also mention e-bay. There is a lot of worthless and downright dangerous stuff sold there, but there are some gems too. Many take SCUBA lessons, buy the whole package then dive once or twice and decide it is not for them. Have any gear serviced before you dive it.

You might check out Matt the Aquaman down under the community section, he, or his site my have some info for you.

For me, its mainly the BC and regulators. ill have to go and either get a wetsuit/drysuit modifyed or custom made. I am only about 5 foot tall. wide hips and a bit of a stomache. Which will be expensive.

For me, its mainly the BC and regulators. ill have to go and either get a wetsuit/drysuit modifyed or custom made. I am only about 5 foot tall. wide hips and a bit of a stomache. Which will be expensive.

Here is the XXL BC and 6X wetsuit I use ... FWIW Give these guys a call you may be surprised to find that they can accommodate you.

Here is theSea Elite Reg and gauge package I use

I also have the TommyD sport First and second stage which is a very good setup...Just as good as the Sea Elite and the Sherwood set up I have
I plan on getting A tommyD Sport Octopus and they have gauges coming in October I plan on having a complete TDS setup I like their gear that much.

you might want to consider this gear.
Ya it is inexpensive but it is still good gear otherwise I would not be using it:cool2:

Thanks for the suggestion FrogManMike. Not a whole lot he could accommodate for me wetsuit wise. I'm still considering a custom wetsuit. Any thoughts on were i can go. Or if anyone knows of anyone that will give discounts or something. I know of a few places. But i'm curious on the members here. and there suggestions

probably your only other alternative is getting fitted at your LDS
and the price will reflect what style of wet suit you are wanting to get the cheapest being a front zip shorty and the most expensive being a farmer john style. the thickness of the suit will also be cost effective.
sorry I could not be of any more help, If I happen to run across anything browsing the net I will be sure to drop a post:)

Back
Top Bottom