Newest Intova-Compact, push button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeking an ultralight primary for an occasional night dive while travelling, it came down to this or the Dorcy for me as well. I did not have the advantage of comparing them side by side and there are no detailed reviews of the Intova Compact yet.

CompuDude; why do you say this Intova is brighter? Dorcy is 180 lumens Intova Compact is 130 lumens by the stats.

Actually maximum brightness wasn't what I was after; and I like the ability to run it at 1/3 power.

That photo on the other site is amazing, given the high satisfaction most folks are reporting with the Dorcy. I was worried about the narrow beam, but the halo seems much more usable on this light than the Dorcy; even at the low power setting. Seems like unfortunately you'll be in the position to reproduce the experiment, owning both lights, and I hope you will confirm you have the same results.

Note the B&H Photo website inaccurately says the Intova Compact takes AA's.

I imagine if I were cave diving I would have a different perspective on the battery life issue, but this seems it could be good enough for the diving I do, and excellent if the low power setting proves very usable.

Can the Intova be modified to take 3 AA cells?

Do you mean the new Intova compact torch, which uses 3 AAA batteries?

The voltage would be correct to push the LED, but the batteries would be too big to fit inside the handle.

As for the previous generation of Intova flashlights that use cr123a batteries, I doubt it. The voltage is not right, and AA batteries are much longer than cr123a's are, so again, I don't think the fit would work out.

Do you mean the new Intova compact torch, which uses 3 AAA batteries?

The voltage would be correct to push the LED, but the batteries would be too big to fit inside the handle.

As for the previous generation of Intova flashlights that use cr123a batteries, I doubt it. The voltage is not right, and AA batteries are much longer than cr123a's are, so again, I don't think the fit would work out.

I was thinking of the 3 AAA light. It would be a great light if it had 3 AA cells and I don't understand their choice of batteries. It's as though they deliberately keep the run time low.

Adam

I was thinking of the 3 AAA light. It would be a great light if it had 3 AA cells and I don't understand their choice of batteries. It's as though they deliberately keep the run time low.

Adam

I can only assume they were going for proportion and aesthetics. I agree, though, I would happily accept a thicker light body in return for the extra runtime that AA's would give over the AAA's.

We are working on many new lights and you will have further options over
the next 12-18 months. Our focus group studies indicated that the form
factor/burn time with AAA was more appealing than AA. We cannot please
everyone with one design however so we are working on multiple new
designs. Wait for MEGA Nova. This light will be so bright we are going
to offer a license for users!!!!

We are working on many new lights and you will have further options over
the next 12-18 months. Our focus group studies indicated that the form
factor/burn time with AAA was more appealing than AA. We cannot please
everyone with one design however so we are working on multiple new
designs. Wait for MEGA Nova. This light will be so bright we are going
to offer a license for users!!!!

How about using a a 18650 lithium battery instead of aaa batteries,that would double run time with about the same voltage. I use them in other flashlights and think they are the perfect power source for small flashlights.

Back
Top Bottom