Newest Intova-Compact, push button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmmmm :confused: So let's see how it should run. Correct me please if my math is wrong as it's late.

+ 1.50 single AAA voltage
* 3.00 Quantity of batteries
----------------
+ 4.50 Total Voltage (assuming series configuration)

+ 1,000.00 mAh (can range around "900 to 1100" mAh per AAA cell).
* 3.00 Quantity
----------------
+ 3,000.00 Total mAh (assuming series)

+ 4.70 Watts (as advertised)
/ 4.50 Volts from above
----------------
+ 1.044444444444444 Amp draw while on

+ 3,000.00 Total mAh
/ 1,044.00 Amp draw in mA
----------------
+ 2.873563218390805 Hours theoretical run time.

From what I have read, the current (or old now) Intova 4.7 W torches have a 5 V cutoff. That said, even with the batteries in series, they wouldn't power the LED driver.

SomeAssembly,
Please put some batteries in it and see how long it actually burns. If you do get near 3 hours, that would be a fantastic torch. I only get a couple nights out of my CR123's as it is (Perhaps three nights) that is assuming 2.5hrs over three dives.

The price is certainly right at 37.95 at B&H: Intova | Compact Torch | ICOM | B&H Photo Video

Do you have an older Intova 4.7W 120 Lumen torch that you can show us a side-by side with?
EDIT: Sorry. You said you have the 4.7 wide. If you take a picture alongside the wide, I can post images of my Nova 4.7 against my Nova wide 4.7. Not the best way to do a comparison but better than nothing I suppose.
To that end, anyone from Intova want to send me a sample that I can play with? If this stacks up to the other 120 Lumen torch, I'll be buying a couple.:D

Sorry but your math is off by a factor of 3. You get less than one hour of burn time, which is not acceptable for a dive light.

Adam

I didn't get a chance to take pictures, but I did do a battery test since burn time seems to be what people cared about most.

Total time was right at 2.5 hours.

It's a little hard to know what the usable time was. The discharge curve for a AAA is very different than the CR123. With the Nova Wide, you get fairly constant output until it falls off a cliff at the end.

With the AAA the output was very good through about 1 1/2 hours. Between 1 1/2 and 2 hours I started to see a noticeable decrease in the output, but I would still consider it usable.

At 2 hours, I would say the hot spot was about the same as the brightness of the Nova Wide. Because of the smaller beam, the total light was less.

Between 2 and 2 1/2 hours the output dropped more much more quickly. I would not have wanted to use the light much past the 2 hour point.

For me, this is all the performance I need for a pocket light. This is a replacement for 4AA and 6AA halogen lights, and that was all the time I was getting from them.

I'll get pictures of the beam compared to the Nova Wide when I get back next weeks trip.

This looks like a great light, in spite of the low-ish burn time. Incidentally, B&H is out of stock on them, but Adorama has them in stock, for about $2 more. I look forward to my new light's arrival!

This looks like a great light, in spite of the low-ish burn time. Incidentally, B&H is out of stock on them, but Adorama has them in stock, for about $2 more. I look forward to my new light's arrival!

I think a better bet is the Dorcy light, which takes 6 AAA cells and costs $45 on Amazon.

Adam

I think a better bet is the Dorcy light, which takes 6 AAA cells and costs $45 on Amazon.

Adam

I have one, which flooded. I'm working with Dorcy to get it replaced. Slicker than oil on ice, though... a real pain to get turned on. And this new Intova is brighter, even if it doesn't last as long.

I have one, which flooded. I'm working with Dorcy to get it replaced. Slicker than oil on ice, though... a real pain to get turned on. And this new Intova is brighter, even if it doesn't last as long.
Suggestion - wrap the Dorcy light head and body with a bike inner tube. That gave me the extra "grip" to easily turn the light on/off.

Suggestion - wrap the Dorcy light head and body with a bike inner tube. That gave me the extra "grip" to easily turn the light on/off.

Yup, already had done so. Hopefully I'll have a light that doesn't flood next time, and then I'll have a chance to try it.

Compudude: Let us know how your transaction with Adorama goes as they have racked up quite the lengthy collection of customer complaints over the years.

Compudude: Let us know how your transaction with Adorama goes as they have racked up quite the lengthy collection of customer complaints over the years.

I've ordered from them a number of times and never had a problem.

This particular order, however, I've canceled. As long as I have to wait for restocking (it's backordered), I'll stick with the cheaper price at B&H.

Back
Top Bottom