Newest Intova-Compact, push button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? So is there a new 4.7w light that takes AA batteries or not?

Just came back from my LDS and they were waiting on a shipment of the intovas that take CR123s...

Thanks for the positive feedback. Stay tuned as we have more lights with this switch style coming soon. Also the new MEGA NOVA. So bright we are going to offer “Light Licenses”!!!!!

You've sparked my interest! Gotta say, you guys moved way high up on my list recently. I called about a busted lanyard attachment point and ended up with a brand new light sent to me! I really didn't expect that. I immediately went out an got yet another Intova light because of your support. Thanks!

Any chance ya'll might get into the cannister light business?

Huh? So is there a new 4.7w light that takes AA batteries or not?

Just came back from my LDS and they were waiting on a shipment of the intovas that take CR123s...

The new light is not 4.7 W and takes AAA batteries. It is a 1W LED.

I just received the new Intova light. It is VERY similar to the previous Nova except the battery and switch.

It being sold as a 4.7W, 130 lumen, just like the previous Nova.

B&H has it listed. Search for Intova Compact (I can't post links yet). They say it is AA, but it does use 3 AAA.

Compared to the Nova Wide, it is about 1/2 inch shorter, and just slightly bigger around.

I already have the Nova Wide. The center of the beam is much brighter than the Nova Wide and is surrounded by an area about the same size as the wide, but about half the brightness.

At this point I have no idea what the battery life will be, but I assume it will be significantly shorter than the CR123.

So far I'm very happy with it. I like the wide, but this may be more flexible.

hmmmmm :confused: So let's see how it should run. Correct me please if my math is wrong as it's late.

+ 1.50 single AAA voltage
* 3.00 Quantity of batteries
----------------
+ 4.50 Total Voltage (assuming series configuration)

+ 1,000.00 mAh (can range around "900 to 1100" mAh per AAA cell).
* 3.00 Quantity
----------------
+ 3,000.00 Total mAh (assuming series)

+ 4.70 Watts (as advertised)
/ 4.50 Volts from above
----------------
+ 1.044444444444444 Amp draw while on

+ 3,000.00 Total mAh
/ 1,044.00 Amp draw in mA
----------------
+ 2.873563218390805 Hours theoretical run time.

From what I have read, the current (or old now) Intova 4.7 W torches have a 5 V cutoff. That said, even with the batteries in series, they wouldn't power the LED driver.

SomeAssembly,
Please put some batteries in it and see how long it actually burns. If you do get near 3 hours, that would be a fantastic torch. I only get a couple nights out of my CR123's as it is (Perhaps three nights) that is assuming 2.5hrs over three dives.

The price is certainly right at 37.95 at B&H: Intova | Compact Torch | ICOM | B&H Photo Video

Do you have an older Intova 4.7W 120 Lumen torch that you can show us a side-by side with?
EDIT: Sorry. You said you have the 4.7 wide. If you take a picture alongside the wide, I can post images of my Nova 4.7 against my Nova wide 4.7. Not the best way to do a comparison but better than nothing I suppose.
To that end, anyone from Intova want to send me a sample that I can play with? If this stacks up to the other 120 Lumen torch, I'll be buying a couple.:D

+ 1,000.00 mAh (can range around "900 to 1100" mAh per AAA cell).
* 3.00 Quantity
----------------
+ 3,000.00 Total mAh (assuming series)

if you put 3*1000mAh in series you still have 1000mAh of capacity :-(

SomeAssembly,
Please put some batteries in it and see how long it actually burns. If you do get near 3 hours, that would be a fantastic torch. I only get a couple nights out of my CR123's as it is (Perhaps three nights) that is assuming 2.5hrs over three dives.

The price is certainly right at 37.95 at B&H:

Do you have an older Intova 4.7W 120 Lumen torch that you can show us a side-by side with?
EDIT: Sorry. You said you have the 4.7 wide. If you take a picture alongside the wide, I can post images of my Nova 4.7 against my Nova wide 4.7. Not the best way to do a comparison but better than nothing I suppose.
To that end, anyone from Intova want to send me a sample that I can play with? If this stacks up to the other 120 Lumen torch, I'll be buying a couple.:D

I'll see what I can do, but it may not be soon. Leaving on a trip Saturday. Should have a chance to use it in the water.

I'll try to post a picture before I go, but I won't have a chance to try to run down the batteries.

At the price difference on batteries, I can tolerate a significantly shorter burn time. I don't use it as a primary light so even with a short burn, I won't need to carry a lot of batteries.

The package says 'up to 5 hours'. I suspect that is at the 30% power setting (and typical vendor optimism) so I don't think we'll see 3 hours at full.

if you put 3*1000mAh in series you still have 1000mAh of capacity :-(

Doh:shakehead: Less than one hour run time then :confused::depressed: Bummer. So much for being a respectable EE.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom