Newer Thermo-Pro valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
What would cause a newer (late 2005) thermo-pro valve to leak from the knob when the knob is opened?

Is this exacerbated by improper rinsing? Could the stem be slightly bent?

Should I switch to another brand of valve? I have a full tank I'll have to drain to get the valve repaired/replaced (It's a pretty loud leak). When fully open, the leak is about twice as loud as when you crack it. (Yes the reg is on, and the leak is definitely coming from around the knob handle).

Hello Paul:
The most common cause of a leak at the handwheel of a pressurized valve is a bent stem. Though, it could be caused by the copper crush washer not sealing at the bonnet. Give me a call next week and I'll help solve the issue. Toll-Free 866 977-2822

paulwall:
What would cause a newer (late 2005) thermo-pro valve to leak from the knob when the knob is opened?

Is this exacerbated by improper rinsing? Could the stem be slightly bent?

Should I switch to another brand of valve? I have a full tank I'll have to drain to get the valve repaired/replaced (It's a pretty loud leak). When fully open, the leak is about twice as loud as when you crack it. (Yes the reg is on, and the leak is definitely coming from around the knob handle).

XS Scuba:
Hello Paul:
The most common cause of a leak at the handwheel of a pressurized valve is a bent stem. Though, it could be caused by the copper crush washer not sealing at the bonnet. Give me a call next week and I'll help solve the issue. Toll-Free 866 977-2822

Nicely done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom