Newbie wanna be Tech Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on what they are being inflexible about. Some things are not flexible without endangering life.

If they are demanding certain brands or color of gear, then they are just idiots.

I've started with my first tech class about 4 months ago and if you want to be good, there's a lot to digest. In addition, it's costly (as many have stated.) In addition, you should know that I grew up spearfishing off my dad's boat in Florida, now I'm a NAUI Master Scuba Diver and I've done nearly 400 recreation dives (freshwater and blue water combined) and approx 100 dives in the last 12 months alone around Texas and the Caribbean, and I'm just now getting into tech diving. Please understand that it was not because of the money, time, or aptitude that has prevented me from "going tech" any earlier. I just flat out didn't think I was as good as I should be to jump into tech, especially when knowing the standard that I hold myself to in life. My degree is in mechanical engineering, my work is in statistical analysis, and I'm a competitive 10K and 5K runner. So, I'm not trying to mean, but I don't think 5 dives or 50 dives offers enough unique data and judgment scenarios to green light you for deep, for cave, for wreck, etc. I realize the scuba industry is hurting and many shops and instructors may cut corners and sign you up, but don't confuse their greed with essential common sense and your life. And find a good tech instructor when the time comes because I have seen A LOT of crappy recreational scuba instructors and so I have to believe there are below-average tech instructors as well . . . unfortunately.

:) ........ I think everyone wanting to get into a particular discipline of the tech side of the sport , (Cave,,Wreck,,Deep,,maybe Serious CCR, and a few other areas) of technical diving; go learn golf or tennis or maybe checkers/chess, and leave that deeper world for us 5-6% of all divers whom are true technical divers and whom have 'earned' and invested (spent over a grand myself this month to update gear), in the time/travel and expense,, and hard study/homework beyond course work to truly say when 'they' want to, that they are a tech diver. IMO

PS-- truly all levels/kinds of diving are fun and exciting, and all share some common 'risks'.

I wasn't directly accusing the OP of trolling, just mentioning that the post sounded like a possible troll as a way of emphasizing how questionable the statements were. 5 dives post certification in a year, really enjoyed "going deep and diving wrecks" and wants to get into tech diving.

If they are demanding certain brands or color of gear, then they are just idiots.

How true! A bonafied tack diver gets all of his gear from the local feed store or tractor supply.

Interesting that he has not logged back in.

qwerty988

Last Activity: May 18th, 2010 11:06 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. He signed up, posted 1 message (this) and hasn't been back since. I'm still not sure this was a troll post. Some people have real lives, and don't check SB every hour (I obviously don't fall into this category).

:) ........ I think everyone wanting to get into a particular discipline of the tech side of the sport , (Cave,,Wreck,,Deep,,maybe Serious CCR, and a few other areas) of technical diving; go learn golf or tennis or maybe checkers/chess, and leave that deeper world for us 5-6% of all divers whom are true technical divers and whom have 'earned' and invested (spent over a grand myself this month to update gear), in the time/travel and expense,, and hard study/homework beyond course work to truly say when 'they' want to, that they are a tech diver. IMO

PS-- truly all levels/kinds of diving are fun and exciting, and all share some common 'risks'.

Agreed.

Who's inflexible?

(See, I had reason to post in your local forum :) )

Back
Top Bottom