Newbie Reg purchase: Mk25/S600 vs. Poseidon Xstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't like people who get off topic or throw their own, yet, different opinion than what the OP is asking. But this time I will do it myself since I really believe it adds value.

For years my top selling "High Quality" regulator was the MK 25 / S600. I have about 8 of them for just about every configuration of OC diving. Then came along the MK 25/S620Ti. For just a few dollars more you get a second stage with titanium components. Since the its introduction I have not sold any S600s.

If $$$ is not as important as quality,SP also makes a titanium MK 25. Awesome air flow...

While there is nothing wrong with the SP MK25/S600 it has evolved.

BTW I have not used a Poseidon Xstream, so I cannot comment or compare the reg for the OP.

I am a huge fan of Poseidon regs and think the Xstream is an amazing piece of engineering.

You will hear a lot of mythology about Poseidon’s. They are different and that makes some people avoid them. There is currently no issue getting parts or service. Both DRIS and NESS will sell you parts. You can even sign up for service training through Poseidon if you want. There are at least 3 places within driving distance that I can get service, although I just Handle my own.

Nothing wrong with the scubapro either. But don’t expect to buy parts anywhere officially sanctioned.

ftfy :thumb:

I started diving Scubapro in 1970 and used the Mark 5 for many years with several upgrades. I have a Scubapro Mk11 / S600 + C350 on a Scubapro full face mask that I use at work as the lead diver for a tour submarine company. The majority of the company regulators are Scubapro MK25 / G260's and they all work well and are fairly sturdy. However when I dive recreationally I use either a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 metal, a Poseidon Jetstream or an Atomic ST1 (which is extremely similar to a SP MK25 and I consider it an upgrade). I personally prefer the Poseidons to all others and I have owned a slew of them from US Divers / Aqualung to Mares, Apeks, etc. Service for Poseidon can always be obtained easily enough (and usually just as quickly) as any others by going through the mail if you don't have a local service shop for them. Compared to the top end of most brands they are not more expensive either.

Really appreciate the feedback gents.

@westfall: Cost is less of a concern, as I’m hoping to buy just once, and look at it as an investment.
That said, full titanium setup just doesn’t seem worth the squeeze for me; an extra 1400 to drop 1 pound? It’s a hard sell. Any other real advantages other than dropping weight?
Maintenance: I would be reliant on a shop at least initially, but look to do my own later.

@Graf: don’t you put that on me. One and done I say! Lmao

Maintenance: I would be reliant on a shop at least initially, but look to do my own later.

So do you have a "convenient" option to get the Poseidon serviced? As an example, for me, I have to ship mine out of the area (NY to NC) for service as there isn't anything close. Seeing you are somewhere in HI, what are your options? Sure, self service is a path you can go down too...

IMHO, the Scubapros will be much easier to get serviced or can learn to service yourself :)

I say that as I recall hearing that Poseidon's are more expensive and there are fewer shops that do service Poseidons.

that's backwards. You can't service the Scubapro's yourself since you can't get parts for them in this country. Poseidon on the other hand actually has a class where you can be certified to repair them yourself and buy parts direct from the factory, but there is no restrictions in the dealer agreements for selling parts. Scubapro forbids it from their dealers, so you have to go to grey market to buy them.

The SP regulator is a known "quantity" with known excellent performance and a wide support/dealer network around the world. "Military Specs" aren't always relevant to the recreational diver or are current specs.
What's unknown about the Poseidon? The MK3/Xstream has been around a long time, close to 20 years for the Xstream, and over a decade for the MK3, though the basic design is close to 20 years old. The company has been around since the 50's and shows no sign of instability.
In terms of Mil-Spec, they're actively used by military divers, though I'm sure the scubapro is in a couple of navy's somewhere. That said, you are correct that being "mil-spec" really doesn't mean a whole lot, and I can certainly spec to that since most of my work involves things with actual mil-specs. I'm actually designing a product to one as I type.

@rhwestfall there are 6 Poseidon service centers in Hawaii, and the guy who runs Poseidon USA lives there half of the year so there will be stable shops out there for the considerable future.

Now, all that being said. I own all of the regulators in question except the MK3 first stage *mine are only mk2*, but I now have 8x Xstreams, at least 12 Jetstreams, 6 MK25's, and I think 4 S600's but they're getting sold. Only 1 G250, but 6 156's which are the same thing for this discussion. I don't use the S600's and would recommend the G260's out of personal preference. My normal setups are MK25 first stage with Poseidon second stage, and Poseidon first stage with 109/156 second stages. Why? The Mk25 has better hose routing for doubles and stages with the swivel turret and bottom port, but I prefer the Poseidon second stages. The Poseidon first stages are smaller, lighter, and have an OPV integrated into them so for my CCR, and deco bottles where I have an inline shutoff, I don't need to add an OPV to them.

@H.K.B. brand loyalties aside, pros and cons. The Poseidon will be a lot easier to keep clean and will be less finicky with rinsing since it is a wide open, flow-thru diaphragm cover vs the MK25 where you're going to have to be really careful about soaking with flow to keep the piston chamber clean. It's less bad than it used to be with the new ones since the holes are larger, but it's not like a diaphragm, especially the MK3 where it's wide open. Neither first stage is IMO ideal for regular salt water use because they are unsealed, but that is my personal preference. If you go with Scubapro, I'd consider the MK17 because it will be easier on maintenance for you, but the hose routing is not quite as ideal, though for single tank it's less important. In terms of which one you get, to most divers I would say get the Scubapro because it breathes like you will expect it to, but if you want a Poseidon, I really do recommend you go to one of those dealers and see if they'll let you do a try dive

Regarding ScubaPro service kits: there are dozens of vendors on Ebay that sell service kits for every SP product. Likewise there are reliable members of this forum that will sell you genuine OEM parts.

true, and same with Apeks, but it's still grey market

And there is no downside. It's not like buying a grey market camera you can never get warranty support for. As with anything on ebay, as long as you buy from a source with a good reputation (or here on SB.com) you are likely to get the real deal for a fair price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom