Newbie Lady Diver needs help with 1st Bc!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lulunew2scub

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone..I am a newbie lady diver and will be buying my 1st BC and am looking for one that isn't too bulky. The one I had to wear in my OW class never seemed to stay in place. Would love to hear what some of the other ladies find as a comfortable BC! Thanks!

and welcome!

I have a ScubaPro LadyHawke, and like it. You will get all kinds of opinions on this board. One idea is to simply visit different shops and try on different BC's and see what ya like!

Good Luck!

Juls

I have a Ladyhawk as well which I like. But what different people find comfortable or want for features will vary. There's been a lot of discussions of this, I'd suggest searching in the BC forum for "womens" to get some ideas and info on things to look for, and then try on as many as you can. If you can try it at least in a pool that's even better. Here's some threads to start:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t63423-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t44746-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t23418-.html

I have a Genesis Recon/tech BC and i like it alot. it's a back inflate, small and very comfortable. Another BC that is really nice also a back inflate is the Zeagle Escape.

My wife, who happens to be rather large busted, dives a SeaQuest "Libra" and loves it because of two reasons, it's a back inflation system and it's extremely adjustable.

i have the seaquest diva lx and find it very comfortable. it's a hybrid, but i've never had any of the mention problems like having the tendency to lie on my face on surface, etc.
i love the weight integration system. it won't come of accidentally but is still easy to dump. also there are weight pockets at the back near the tank.
other than that i like it coz it's closed in from, i tried a seaquest qd + but felt my belly was looking out to much and felt unprotected. it's not so bulky and the air is distributed to the sides and back and not all at the sides.
what i don't like are the pockets. i also have an old scubapro with velcro pockets which i really like. most of the new jackets use zips which are rather hard to access while wearing the jacket.
another cool thing is there is a knife specially for the seaquest jackets that you can attach to your bc.
but like mentioned above, what suits one might not suit the other. try out various bcs at your lds. if you like one or two go home and do an internet search, that way you can find out a lot of the pros and cons of that jacket. it would also be good to make a list beforehand of what you would like and what you definitely don't want. for me it things i wanted were: integrated weights, comfortable, black color, easy to attach a knife since i hate the knife on my leg, big pockets.
sometimes you won't find exactly what you want, for me it might not have been black or the pockets aren't quite to my liking. happens sometimes. nothing's perfect, but should be close to!

Hi there, you will probably get lots of responses but don't forget most of us will give you our personal preference.

You should consider two different things when deciding which BCD to buy. a. the kind of diving you want to eventually do most, and b. your body size and shape

Do a lot of research on the net on the different manufacturers and what each product offers... then go to different dive shops and dry try as many different BCD's as you can. Or find your local dive club and check out what the ladies are wearing, maybe you can try them as well.

You may want to start with the following site to get an idea of what is out there to pick from: http://officialdivegearpage.com I don't know how often they update it, but it is a start.

I use both a Zeagle Ranger and a SeaQuest Diva LX, depending on the kind of diving I'm doing at the time, and love both of them.

Don't forget that what works great for one, may not work at all for others....

good luck,
Maria

I started in a jacket BC (Diva, I think) but at around 30 dives, I tried a simple harness/backplate/wing setup and found it to be MUCH more comfortable. I found that any jacket I tried on felt very bulky and made it hard to reach things, especially when inflated.

With a harness, and particularly with no weight belt (I got rid of that thing too) all that is on my front and sides is snug webbing, so my range of motion is not limited. I immediately felt alot less constricted and found that in the water, I was alot more relaxed. It made diving much more fun.

That is just personal preference, though. The webbing/backplate/wing setup can be pretty uncomfortable for some people on the surface, though I liked it immediately. It should still feel pretty good in the water though; like you have nothing on!

Try the different styles before you commit your hard earned $$ to a full gear setup, though. I was lucky, I hadn't bought anything before I tried the backplate and harness, thank god.

:)

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips. It looks like I really need to go down to the LDS and try a few on! I just hope they have some of womens BC's there. Thanks again.

Lulunew2scub:
Hi everyone..I am a newbie lady diver and will be buying my 1st BC and am looking for one that isn't too bulky. The one I had to wear in my OW class never seemed to stay in place. Would love to hear what some of the other ladies find as a comfortable BC! Thanks!

I use an Aeris Atmost XT: a hybrid BC that gives me good lift.

BTW, if you do a search in the Women's Views forum on this subject, I'll bet you find a lot of good info.

Bonne chance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom