Newbie BP/W questions about weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I just "inherited" my very first BP/W rig (a former student was diagnosed with severe asthma, so he gave me his BP/W), and I am totally new to this system as my previous BCD's were either Seaquest (Balance) or Zeagle (Ranger LTD).

So, the rig in question is a DSS (single tank) which I'm told is an excellent brand. However, as you will note from above I have worn weight-integrated BCD's over the past several years (unless demonstrating a weight belt skill to students) and I've really become used to the feeling of not wearing a weight belt.

If the stainless DSS BP weighs about 5lbs. and I would like an additional 5 lbs. but prefer NOT to put it on a belt, what are my options?
Looking at the DSS website I did not see any "pockets" specifically designed to attach onto the harness....or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

Alternatively, are there any after-market (or generic brand) weight pouches that have belt "loops" that can be attached to the belt of my DSS harness?

Sorry if these are foolish questions, but I'm in the dark on all this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

HB

Hi HB,

As others have noted you will probably need ~4-5 lbs less total ballast with a BP&W vs many jacket BC's simply because many Jacket type BC's are inherently buoyant. They have padding and can often trap gas.

Where and how to carry ballast does depend in part on how much you need and how cold the water is. Adding a few lbs on the waist belt or cam straps of a warm water rig is often fine, but trying to avoid a weight belt on a cold water rig may lead to a very heavy BC, and require larger wing.

If all of your ballast is going to be attached to your BC then your BC must offer enough ballast to sink your buoyant exposure suit when the cylinder is empty. Your wing however must offer enough lift to float your rig if you ditch it when the cylinder is full.

If 100% of your ballast is attached to your rig then your wing must be able to float *all* of your ballast + all of your gas. OTOH, if you carry ballast roughly equal to the weight of your gas (~6-8lbs for single tank diving) on a belt, then your wing can be sized to float part of your ballast and all of your gas. Smaller wings are lower drag, easier to vent and more stable, all good things.

4-6 lbs in a belt is typically easily tolerated by most divers.

If you have specific question let me know. To make a recommendation I need to know:

Height and weight

Most buoyant exposure suit

Cylinders used.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom