Newb - Pls. critique my gear shopping list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a wise one on the breadth of gear, but those regs are what people mean by good basic ones from a main brand, diagram are nice for less salt in the works, the SP Mk2 piston first stage might serve you as well, as SP's cheapest but rock solid. .

If you check SP's published specs, the Mk2 is their lowest performing reg, by far. And, since it's an unbalanced piston - their only unbalanced 1st stage reg, I think, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone as their one-and-only 1st stage reg. I would use it as a reg on a deco bottle. I'm not sure I'd want to be using a Mk 2 on a single tank dive, if I happened to be at 130' and a near-panicked, out of gas diver came up to me and wanted my octo. Maybe the Mk2 would flow enough to satisfy two divers at that depth, with at least one of them really huffing away. But, I would rather spend a little extra to avoid having to find out.

If you check SP's published specs, the Mk2 is their lowest performing reg, by far. And, since it's an unbalanced piston - their only unbalanced 1st stage reg, I think, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone as their one-and-only 1st stage reg. I would use it as a reg on a deco bottle. I'm not sure I'd want to be using a Mk 2 on a single tank dive, if I happened to be at 130' and a near-panicked, out of gas diver came up to me and wanted my octo. Maybe the Mk2 would flow enough to satisfy two divers at that depth, with at least one of them really huffing away. But, I would rather spend a little extra to avoid having to find out.
I defer to that judgement. My thought was if he intended only shallow if might work. My own is the Mk25/S600 fire hose of however much air you + buddy want, but it is pricy.

I defer to that judgement. My thought was if he intended only shallow if might work. My own is the Mk25/S600 fire hose of however much air you + buddy want.

I don't know what his plan is, either. But, I figure it someone antes up for their first regs, they probably want something that will stand them in good stead for at least any type of recreational sport diving. And if you only own one reg, you probably want something better than "the lowest performer". But, as I say frequently, it's really about giving the OP the info with pros and cons, so they can decide for themselves.

I would not hesitate to dive a SP MK2/R195. For what it's worth, it was ScubaLabs best buy in 2015 for regulators less than $500. At just $339, performed admirably. Very commonly used as a rugged, easily serviced, rental reg.

My primary reg is an SP MK25/S600

I would not hesitate to dive a SP MK2/R195. For what it's worth, it was ScubaLabs best buy in 2015 for regulators less than $500. At just $339, performed admirably. Very commonly used as a rugged, easily serviced, rental reg.

My primary reg is an SP MK25/S600

Well, there you go. Experience definitely trumps specs.

I own split fins and like them. There, I said it.

So many SB users trash split fins because they prefer to frog kick. Granted, split fins are generally not great for frog kicking. That is because they are designed for flutter kicking. Fins designed for flutter kicking are not as stiff as those for frog kicking. Of course you can do both, but most fins lean towards 1 style of kicking.

The flutter kick and frog kick each have their pluses and minuses. I prefer to flutter kick and that is a big reason I like my split fins.

LOL My favorite fins are actually my full foot freediving fins. They work great for flutter kicks, frog kicks, and even back kicks.

They generate so much thrust it allows me to kick very gently. Very unlikely for me to get a cramp using them as I just never have to kick hard enough to cause a cramp.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I suffered from cramps on my last dive with the Mares. They are on the heavier side for me and with my boots filled with water (also heavy) I tend to over exert myself especially maintaining my trim.

What kind of boots do you have that are filling with water? All dive boots are gonna get wet - just like a wetsuit but you make is sound like you're dragging a sea anchor. Perhaps that is upsetting your trim and making you work too hard. And regarding your trim struggle - how much weight are you diving with? Too much can really make smooth diving a tough task.

Lastly, cramping can be caused by dehydration. Not uncommon on morning dives after lots of wake up coffee.

Yeah, but you do know freediving fins are designed for flutter kicks. Similar, many tech divers will say their stiff paddle fins work great for all kinds of kicks, but stiff paddle tech fins are designed for frog kicking.

I have 3 sets of fins. Open heel split fins for shore diving, full foots for boat diving a few days, and long full foot freedive fins for boat diving vacations.

What kind of boots do you have that are filling with water? All dive boots are gonna get wet - just like a wetsuit but you make is sound like you're dragging a sea anchor.

I'm wondering if he's wearing his boots with wetsuit tucked into boots rather than the other way around. I've seen people dump astonishing amounts of water out of their boots when they don't wear wetsuit over boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom