Newb - Pls. critique my gear shopping list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boglefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Newly certified and overwhelmed with choices! I am putting together a shopping list for gear that I don't own:

- Cressi Aqua Pro BCD
- Suunto Zoop
- Cressi XS Octo
- Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston reg
- Cressi Mini 2 gauge console
- Mares Xstream fins (already bought, but hate them, need split fins)

Would really appreciate your feedback especially on the Regs. Planning on diving 10 - 15 warm water dives per yr. Budget ~ 1G

Thanks.

Any bcd that fits. Preferably second hand.

Zoop is a fine computer and will serve you fot a lot of diving.

Change regs for cheap Apeks or scubapro. Easier to get serviced. People who dive for pay use them for a reason. ATX40/DS4 combo has the same internals as the more expensive versions and works very well. No need to waste cash on something flashy.

Single SPG is better. You will use your comp for depth. Don't confuse things.

Unless you have a disability you don't need splitfins. They are a crux used too often because of poor technique and lack of fitness. Improve yourself and save money. I must admit I view splitfins abit like someone with armbands in the pool...

Those are my thoughts.

There is nothing wrong with any of the gear on your list for the diving you plan to do. It will serve you well.

I assume you are buying your list at a local shop (the shop that certified you) and so will not have any problem with service and the shop will be there to support you.

If you are not working with a shop, or plan to travel, then consider that Aqua Lung/Apeks and Scubapro are the two most common brands and can be serviced pretty much anywhere, Don't worry about the BC, which can be serviced anywhere by anyone so no need to look for a particular brand; a nice, trim fit is far more important.

Agree with HantsDiver about the two gauge console. Your computer will give you depth and all the calculations you need. Just need an spg.

Or, if you don't mind a console mounted computer, Suunto makes a console that holds the Zoop and an spg. Ask your shop about that, If you prefer wrist mount for your computer (I do), then just get an spg, not a console.

Fins are a matter of pure personal preference. You are not a "lesser" diver if you use splits, especially if they reduce your exertion, which gives you a better dive experience. I dive with lots of excellent divers who use splits, so don't be put off by a notion that you have a disability if you want to use them. If you have used solid fins and don't like them, your choice is easy and perfectly valid.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I suffered from cramps on my last dive with the Mares. They are on the heavier side for me and with my boots filled with water (also heavy) I tend to over exert myself especially maintaining my trim.

Oh, for heaven's sake, leave the poor guy alone on the splits! Boglefish, I tried the stiff paddle fins. Lots of calf cramps and knee pain from them. My Atomic Splits are the best thing since sliced bread. I now have no knee pain while diving.

Don't bother with the Cressi regs. AquaLung, Apeks, or Scubapro better. Just get a plain analog SPG. You don't need a console if you have the wrist computer.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I suffered from cramps on my last dive with the Mares. They are on the heavier side for me and with my boots filled with water (also heavy) I tend to over exert myself especially maintaining my trim.
So much stuff packed in that post.

If you can, have someone help you with trim and propulsion. If not, there's no major reason not to use the split fins. If you can figure out the paddle fins, they will serve you better over the long haul.

That's understandable. I was just giving my perspective on the equipment.

It would be a good idea to potentially get some training before you decide splitfins are required. If you already own the fins then it would be money saves. Propulsion should be an exercise in efficiency. If you know how you don't have to use a lot of energy or force to move in the water.

You should need absolutely minimal effort to maintain trim. If that is your reason for wanting splits, I would suggest adjusting your weighting, tank position, etc., to get your trim sorted out first and then decide if you need to spend money on new fins. Get a buddy or instructor to help you with your trim, if necessary.

Also, for 10 - 15 dives per year, you really might be better off to just rent a BCD and regs. That will save you the up front expense and the annual maintenance expense. And, rental gear at places I have been is generally just as good or better than the specific gear you are talking about.

And, the Suunto Zoop (non-Novo) is not a computer I would buy or recommend to anyone. It will do the job, for sure. But, there are other options that would do the job just as well or better, and have a better chance of being satisfactory long-term.

Reasons? I *think* the Zoop does not have a back light and does not support Gauge mode. You might never need either thing. But, a computer that has those is more likely to keep you satisfied long-term. Also, other computers offer an algorithm for calculating NDL times that will be more liberal. I.e. other computers will allow you longer bottom times. The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is a popular option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom