Newark Continental Carry-On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been told I am not allowed to pack yet…. But I might just start… :)

Anyhow, I was checking my packing allowances for our Bon-Bon-Bonaire trip. We will use the Newark direct flight. I know what the official “word” is for carry-on for that plane but having traveled a fair bit official word is not always what the reality is.

So you more experienced on this route… Are the measurements Continental gives for EWR flight about fair game? For that plane what size carry-on bag has comfortably fitted into the overhead? I have long legs and hate to have stuff on my feet. I know the flight is fully-booked, and everyone probably comes with extra stuff. What size baggies have you been getting in?

I travel CO out of Newark at least 4x a year and we've never had our carryons measured or weighed. Between two of us we go onboard with a roller Pelican (that just exactly meets the regulation size) w/ a camera and video rig in it, and we also have a shoulder computer bag, roller backpack and a reg bag that holds 2 sets of regs.

As for the ziploc, it's one - quart size bag per person and the items in it are supposed to be no more then 3oz and in original packaging. I have yet to have them ask me to take it out of my bag and I have had things in my bag every trip outside of the ziploc (unintentionally) and they have also never asked me to open it or questioned it. Since there are electronics and another camera & housing, camera tray and handle in the same bag I would have expected them to take a closer look.

Some planes have smaller overheads and you'll have to get the bags in horizontal instead of vertical, but we've never had them not fit.

Excellent question... I'm on the Continental flight out of TX direct to Bon, and I'm thinking it's probably about the same sized plane...

For carry-on I purchased a samsonite bag specifically for carry-on. On the few trips I've been on there has only been one time that I had to "plane side" check the carry-on and that was a hop from Salt Lake City to Saint Louis. All the other flights I've been on the bag fit in the bins. Granted I've only even been on Delta and AA before...

I've been Stl to Colorado Springs and back, I've been Stl to Chicago and back, and we flew last year from STL to Atlanta, on to LAX then to Maui, then Maui to Salt Lake then back to STL.

I've got my fingers crossed that our "carry-on" bags are going to work, this time I'm going to make triple sure that I don't stuff them too full like I did going to Maui, I really had to "work" them into the bins that time. This time I keep swearing too myself that I'm going to pack light!!!!

Just went down and back..."large standard carry on" just fit in plane overhead. If you're worried about placing it under seat (doubt the one I had would fit) deposit in overhead before you get to your seat. Lots of savvy carry on everything types do this. Not totally nice or fair, but I've never seen a flight attendent say a word in over forty years of flying!

Hoa!

Humble older aquaman:
Just went down and back..."large standard carry on" just fit in plane overhead. If you're worried about placing it under seat (doubt the one I had would fit) deposit in overhead before you get to your seat. Lots of savvy carry on everything types do this. Not totally nice or fair, but I've never seen a flight attendent say a word in over forty years of flying!

Hoa!

I don't know what my take on the niceness is. How much nicer is it to arrive on your seat, notice that things have already overflowed about 4 seats beyond, and you can't back up anymore because of the people behind you. If I only have the allowed amount of carry-on, I expect to be able to place it in overhead whether it's right above me or not.

I haven't air-traveled for scuba before, and I have a distinct feeling that on these scuba-specific flights people are particularly 'savvy' about getting extra carry-on with them. It might be that nice get eaten by the fast as usual. I would think attendants would be pretty unfair to comment on placement of bags before weeding out the excess loads that always slip by :wink:

piikki:
I don't know what my take on the niceness is. How much nicer is it to arrive on your seat, notice that things have already overflowed about 4 seats beyond, and you can't back up anymore because of the people behind you. If I only have the allowed amount of carry-on, I expect to be able to place it in overhead whether it's right above me or not.

I haven't air-traveled for scuba before, and I have a distinct feeling that on these scuba-specific flights people are particularly 'savvy' about getting extra carry-on with them. It might be that nice get eaten by the fast as usual. I would think attendants would be pretty unfair to comment on placement of bags before weeding out the excess loads that always slip by :wink:

My husband likes to hover close to the bording line area and as soon as the row is called he is within the first few people in the line. We do well this way with getting bags in over our seats. And I don't hesitate to rearrange bags that were put in in a way that takes up more room then they need. if they fit vertically then put them that way and more stuff can get in the overhead.

My experience with flights to destinations that are primarily dive focussed is that people have been nicer about carryon. Divers know that you don't check your camera equipment, regs, computers, etc and they generally seem to be pretty accomodating to their fellow divers. (And great about getting alot of stuff into the least possible space) Wear a well-worn dive t-shirt and you'll make a few friends before you even board.

I use an "official" sized carry on soft nylon bag, that can be overstuffed if I think I can get away with it (like on a 747). It can be carried as a pack back or with a shoulder strap.

I also attached with bolt snaps to the bottom, a padded regulator bag which I can easy snap off and store separately and it makes it easier for inspection at security.

On the Singapore Airlines flight heading back to US via Narita you get a security check In Narita (Tokyo) on the way into the transit lounge and then again getting back on the plane (this second check is mainly for liquids).

No one has every questioned me about having the regulator bag and if they do I will explain what it is and how sensitive it is and how important is that it works and that I can NOT ship it in the hold.

This is about the first time that for vacation I am planning to take a bit larger carry-on. Usually, I hate to drag a lot of stuff on airport, I want to start chilling out. However, there are a few more things to consider with scuba... and I would DIE (yes, literally DIE :D ) if I go to Bonaire, my first blue water gig, and found out I cannot dive!!!

Well, I know I could rent (yeah right, I am sure someone rents Rx masks...) but I want to make sure I have bare minimum to get started. I don't die if I don't have clean underwear to swap into but I need to have my regulators! Heh. Since this is direct flight, I am counting on what scubawife said - most people know on what boat everyone is.

I try to sneak another question inside this one... any of you early Newark goers (or other red-eyers) stayed at Den Laman? Have you had luck checking in early when not paying for the previous day as a guarantee?

I have been on 3 of the Continental flights to Bonaire (all 737's) and never seen a problem with them running out of overhead space. Not like the local Southwest flights between Dallas and Austin, where they have to have people gate check their bags before the plane is 2/3rds full....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom