New TV Scuba Show- Tank'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As West Virginia plans on having gun safety courses in high school, mandatory to graduate, maybe we should be thinking about some scuba classes in high school. Lotsa high schools have swimming pool for their swim team or there is usually a Y nearby. If the school can take an entire band and football team on a bus they should be able to do the same for some dive students occasionaly. Makes sense to me.

Wow. I'll have you know, the trailer made me go into my TiVo and add PBS back to the channel list. :biggrin:

The divers after their dive were just like any we might see after our dives. That was cool. I can't wait to see the show.

(Is it too early to ask when the DVD boxed set will be out? :D)

Will it show good diving technique? :popcorn:

Just curious -- since this is being produced in High-Def, will it also be made available on the non-HD outlets as well? Some of us haven't yet taken the high-def leap yet... 'cause we spent last year's bonus on dive gear instead.

Ok. My comment on American Chopper was a joke, but I think I am going to go back there. I agree alot with what Papa Bear said about Steve Irwin and that type of show.

I am not in the biz, I am a lay person, but I know a little about what people watch, and why. I loved the trailer, at least the diving shots, and I will watch all 13 shows and hope for a season 2. So consider this some brainstorming, constructive critizism, free advice, whatever you like. I am not trying to be mean, jut putting some ideas out there. Take it for what it is worth.

Standing at an airport, or under palm trees waxing on about the show, boring as heck. And the young hip crowd you want is not going to tune into that. Music? Designed to set a mood. Nobody tunes in for the tunes. There are channels like VH-1 for that. I would suggest instead of putting your hosts in an airport parking lot, you should have had them on cliffs looking out over a rough surf, near some blowholes getting drenched. It looks cooler. Have them treading water with the wild dolphins popping in and out of frame. Or even walkiing down the beach passing hot chicks in bikinis and the local kids with their skimboards in the background. Static shots don't hook people. Action does. Your hosts are young, in shape and good looking, use that, get them moving.

IMO even the simplest walkie talkie scene is better than the static shot. Unless you have something really interesting in the background, like lions on a kill. An airport? Not so much.

American Chopper does better than the other motorcycle build shows because of the action, not the bikes.

Just my thoughts. Good luck...

Season two you should take it to the "not so pretty sites" and do Quarry Tour 2009!

Looks int'resting... I'll watch it as long as it's not on Wednesday nights in the summer...doing my OWN diving those nights.

Chris, best of luck, and I'm looking forward to the show - the trailer looks fun, and I hope you find a mainstream audience. Please post when the show starts broadcasting, so we can be reminded to watch for it.

The website is great, but I have one minor nit to pick - the destinations map says you're going to "Papau New Guinea" - I think it's "Papua".

Good Morning everyone - wow another group of great comments.
There will be lots of beautiful and interesting backgrounds. The airport background was used in the beginning of the show for our arrival in Hawaii. It is a travel show. There will be lots of moving camera shots. Yes you will see bikini girls and guys in board shorts and all that. The camera will follow the two hosts throughout the show. We want lots of humor and action.
We plan on doing 3 - 5 seasons of the show. PBS guys here in Seattle are already planning out seasons 6 and 7. They very much believe in the show and want it around for as long as they can have it - we'll see.
Yes dive techinque and a good example will be set and shown. you will never see people kicking coral or riding turtles.
Everyone on camera in the show are Scuba instructors with more then 3000+ dives each. So it should be realistic, good info and give divers tips and non divers info.
We will run a segment from time to time called "Gearbag" where manufacturers can tout there latest gear. But before that we will do a history of that gear. So everyone ends up on the same page - divers and non divers. You can't really appreciate the new stuff without understanding how you got there.
The point about American Chopper is exactly correct. How many people that watched that show have or will ever have a chopper? its all about the personality of the people you watch. That was the point I was trying to make about that show and Tank'd.
Yes it will be broadcast in standard def and high def - so if you don't have a new TV yet you are fine.
Yes we are already talking with someone from the red sea so we have that in the works as well.
We are trying to get even coverage around the world - as far as destinations go.
We do have plans to work with schools to introduce not only diving , but work on a marine biology program for school kids.
I guess thats it for now.
We really appreciate everyones excitement and comments. We are open and listen to everyones ideas and will integrate the ones we like or agree with into the show.

Thanks again everyone
Chris

Just a quick comment -- travel shows like this are a real pet peeve of mine. Most people can't afford to go off on some tropical vacation to go diving. Plus, there's a LOT more diving locally than most people realize.

Many people think they can't dive, because they equate diving with tropical locations. A show highlighting "diving in your own backyard" or something along those lines would be good. Think outside the box -- rivers, lakes, shore dives (think California 55ºF water temps), offshore coastal dives, etc.

Back
Top Bottom