New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhbryaniv:
OK so not to long ago i remember alot of people saying we will do anything we have to as long as flying is safe. . . .

NOW that the govt are foiling plots to do harm . . . we are complaining about not being able to take our laptops or our camera gear on board??? What the Heck happened in a few years???

I guess in these situations we have two options be safe and put up with some tight security or not and we all know what happens with laxed security. . .

If your worried about your gear do what was mentioned earlier overnight your gear or get a flipping tough box to ship it in .

I never said any of that.

YES, I HAVE to take my laptop on board. I also HAVE to have the use of the in flight phone.

I make 1 round trip flight per month. I have flown almost 20,000 miles domestically in 2006.

The laptop thing is only in England, as I understand it thought.

jhbryaniv:
i think they meant before they have to fly again. . .

Understood, but the line itself suggests chaos. Real chaos. As if standing in line a little longer is an undue burden and surely cooler heads must prevail and eliminate this whole screening and baggage restriction thing because everyone knows that I am not a danger.

Allison, you should probably know that Malaysia will probably take a bit more interest in screening you than we do here. They are very thorough. On every trip, the guys in KL open up all of my carry-on luggage for a look-see. When was the last time you saw that happen here with 200 people in the security queue?

howarde:
I never said any of that.

YES, I HAVE to take my laptop on board. I also HAVE to have the use of the in flight phone.

I make 1 round trip flight per month. I have flown almost 20,000 miles domestically in 2006.

The laptop thing is only in England, as I understand it thought.

I wasn't pointing any fingers at any I was only stating it irritates me that people are more worried about there convenience than about there safety. . .

This is part of the problem, people want it both ways. They don't want ilamic terrorists to kill them while they fly, but they also resent efforts to prevent it.

However, with the intel from this in hand, if TSA made no changes & one or more managed to bring something aboard & blow up a plane in flight, the same people who gripe the most about the inconvenience would be screaming the loudest about the fact that the govt knew these people wanted to do this, but didn't do anything to stop them.

They're in a no win situation, they're damned if they do & damned if they don't.

Terror attempt thwarted. I’m so glad to know our intell network is working so well. Those of us in the business have long feared the binary explosives capabilities that are out there. In the past, anything could have been taken through security and the TSA would have been clueless. Basically anything that can function as a fuel and anything that can function as an oxidizer can be mixed to form low to high explosives, all that is needed is a detonator, which are very easy to smuggle.
The down side is out valuable electronics are now at the mercy of the baggage apes. I had just bought the biggest pelican case you can check for overhead and in it is three cameras, Ipod, laptop and anything else I’m trying to protect. Now I have to trust those morons not to break it or steal it and I have to wait for my checked baggage to show up before I can get my cell phone out.
The good news is I was supposed to be flying today but changed my ticket.

i flew from dc to boston this morning.

had to dump out my shampoo and facial wash.

however, i forgot about my lighter and mask defogger in my carry on (it was in my mask case), along with my regulator setup.

no one blinked an eye.

are we really safer? maybe it's just all the extra activity to make everyone FEEL safer.

jhbryaniv:
I wasn't pointing any fingers at any I was only stating it irritates me that people are more worried about there convenience than about there safety. . .
I didn't say you were... I was just speaking as someone who HAS to have my mobile office with me at all times. :D

@ Dennis - they'll probably sell "secure water" for $6 a bottle :laughing:

MtnDiver:
There are two more years until the next Presidential elections and the current administration will be in office until January 2009.
Don't remind me.

Back
Top Bottom