New to vintage diving, would like some suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I just bought two Aqua-Lung DW Stream Air regulators off of Craigslist. The hoses, mouthpiece, and metal casing (do you call it a casing?) are in good order, except for the valves in the mouthpiece. I also have not been able to open the casing because I don't have the right tool to unbend the clamps and i don't want to damage the metal.

ok, so I really want to rebuild these regs and dive with them, but i have no idea where to start. I was reading on a few of the threads here and saw that Vintage Scuba Supply was a place to go on the net, but i was wondering if there were other places where i could find rebuild kits and things like that. Also, is there a tool that will open the casing without breaking the clamps?

Thanks!
psiborg

VintageDoubleHose.com has rebuilt kits for that regulator, including new reproduction seats.
Vintage Double Hose :: Index

There are also new silicone duckbills (you will most likely need those), new silicone diaphragms, silicone mouthpiece valves and new improved mouthpiece valve cages.

The new silicone diaphragms alone have consistently improved the performance of all my regulators by about 1/2 inWC lower inhalation resistance.

He also has reproduction Mistral upgrade nozzles in case your Stream Airs have not been upgraded yet to the Mistral nozzle. The Mistral nozzle was a retrofit available from US Divers back in the 60's that added the powerful venturi effect of the Mistral to the Stream Air and the Overpressure regulators.

Bryan at VDH can rebuild them for you or you can buy all the parts and do it yourself.

You can also down load the diagrams and get repair manuals for that regulator at VDH.

Removing the clips is easy and my preferred method is just grabbing the side of them with a pair of vise-grip pliers and rotate them down towards the label side of the can. They come off easily. If you are planning on diving the regulator I recommend replacing those darn clips with a band clamp (also available at VDH). Band clamps were available as an option from US Divers in the 60's and 70's and now we have reproduction ones.

Welcome to vintage equipment diving.

So...you just bought 2 DW's - would one of them be for sale or trade?

A third for vdh, like Luis said, not only can he supply the rebuild kit but vdh will do the work for you and can restore it to new condition, a simple rebuild is one thing, a complete restoration is another but all things are possible depending upon how much you are willing ot spend, a good cleaning and rebuild is very cost effective.

There are a bunch of threads on how to remove the clips, it is fairly easy, most of us use a modified end cutter to grip the clips and then pull them outward and downward in a rolling motion. Replace the clips with a new band clamp from vdh.

Oh welcome to vintage and join us on the forums at vdh and vss.

N

Band clamps were also sold separate by US Divers as an upgrade for all there double hose regulators. They were available in the 60's and 70's.

Anytime you are diving salt water it is always possible to get some moisture back into the cans. One of the beauties of a DH regulator is that they do not need yearly service (actually they can go for many years), but they do need cleaning to avoid corrosion.

I have worked and dealt with the clips for a long time, but I never liked them. They are IMHO a very poor engineering design. Deforming metal every time you open and close a piece of equipment is IMO kind like using bailing wire or bending a coat hanger to close something together. Yes, cotter pins are used in a lot of machinery and they work, but they should not be reused like the normally are.

My first DH that I bought second hand in 1971 came with the band clamp and it is a very good thing because I never liked those darn clips even when I serviced other regulators back then. And yes, I have used and I am aware of all the techniques on how to remove them and put them back on with minimal amount of scratching and I can do it very quickly...they are still a kludge. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links.
You have some very nice pictures in that first thread. Nice thread.

I use basically the same procedure for removal. If and if a regulator owner insists, then I also use a very similar procedure to reinstall them, but most of the time I dispose of them properly (actually I never throw anything away, but I would).

Last edited:
I believe that the band clamps were actually available in the 1950's as Roberts' Basic Scuba, 1st Edition (1960) has a schematic of the DW, Mistral and DY Regulators with a replacement "C" clamp, #31 on the schematic. Most likely the view was available prior to publication date which would make the clamps available in the late 1950s.

Welcome to the board and to vintage diving. My suggestion would be to very quickly get rid of them and wash your hands......You have just bought an addictive substance and will soon be spending large sums of money buying vintage gear. :) I know, I bought a DA Aquamaster 3 years ago and am up to 7 with an eye on a couple more.

Seriously, it may be best to let Bryan at VDH do the first rebuild on your reg. He has the experience and tools to go it right. You will then have a reg working the way it should and you can learn on a reg that you have confidence is working properly. Diving a DH reg is a little different than a single hose reg and has a little learning curve. If at all possible, it is a great idea to find someone local to you who dives DH regs and spend some time with them learning. There is a wealth of information here and on VDH with plenty of vintage divers willing to help you along the way.

I'll definitely agree with Herman about the money part...I'm brand new to vintage diving and I've already spent more on my two aquamasters than I ever imagined I would, and I'm afraid I'm just getting warmed up. It is fun, though.

I got a PM from a guy in San Antonio who dives double hose, and there must be a few in Austin and DWF. Maybe there's a vintage flower gardens trip in our future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom