Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When do people have to act as adults? I was subject to long term abuse as an adolescent, so I have some familiarity with it. Children are different than adults and to treat women as weak powerless children will not bring about good outcomes for anyone.
No one is saying the women are powerless. But in this case - as in most cases of such behavior - there was a power dynamic at play. This was exacerbated by the fact that it was part of scuba training, which means underwater, a place where humans are not meant to survive. I’m certain this instructor was fully aware of what he was doing, and I’m certain he has done it many times before. He acted in a predatory manner.

Now, yes, this likely means many women before OP have just let it go and likely managed to rationalize his behavior in some way. And yes, that has allowed him to continue this abhorrent behavior. But HE is the one at fault, not OP for not saying anything at the time.

No one is saying the women are powerless. But in this case - as in most cases of such behavior - there was a power dynamic at play. This was exacerbated by the fact that it was part of scuba training, which means underwater, a place where humans are not meant to survive. I’m certain this instructor was fully aware of what he was doing, and I’m certain he has done it many times before. He acted in a predatory manner.

Now, yes, this likely means many women before OP have just let it go and likely managed to rationalize his behavior in some way. And yes, that has allowed him to continue this abhorrent behavior. But HE is the one at fault, not OP for not saying anything at the time.
She has no responsibility to say “stop that sheet now?” You use fancy words like power dynamic, that means nothing more to me than “victim”, how do you send a 14 yr old girl out with friends if this “power dynamic” is going to relegate her to a victim?

She has no responsibility to say stop that sheet now?
It would perhaps have served her well, but no, the responsibility to act properly rested with the instructor, ethically, likely legally (depending on local laws), and PADI-wise.

Hi everyone, I recently completed my PADI Open Water course and I'd like to share my experience with you. I believe my instructor's behavior was inappropriate, but as a newcomer to scuba diving, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Instructor here....I'm not with PADI, but I do know that within my agency and PADI, nothing about these "techniques" is normal, nor do they sound appropriate. Report him here: Consumer Protection | PADI.

She has no responsibility to say stop that sheet now?
As mentioned, the instructor told me it was to control my buoyancy & to get comfortable in the water. This exercice lasted about 15-20 minutes each days. I did not knew that it was not a proper exercice. I trusted him as an instructor & he had lots of good review. I trusted he was knowing what he was doing. The contact was not straightforward. It was subtle & I was scared and concentrate on the breathing part. I realized on the last day it was not okay. But was not sure the entire time. Either way, he was in a power position, I was the student. It's his actions not mine. He could've chose to not repeat the "exercice" but he did not.

I don’t mean to be inflammatory, but if a women was subject to aggressive pursuit in a sexual manner, did not object at the time, left the situation voluntarily, and then returned two more times over a series of days and receiving similar responses, how is a man to understand that his actions were unwelcome?
It doesn't matter....as a dive pro you are NOT to use your position as diving instructor as a "hook up". Especially when you deviate from standards in the pursuit of said "hook up". You okay with your daughter's college professors using their position to hook up with them? I didn't think so.....

It doesn't matter....as a dive pro you are NOT to use your position as diving instructor as a "hook up". Especially when you deviate from standards in the pursuit of said "hook up". You okay with your daughter's college professors using their position to hook up with them? I didn't think so.....
I said his actions were unprofessional. Her actions were childlike. I don’t see a criminal situation. I expect people to act appropriately and not misuse their authority.

It would perhaps have served her well, but no, the responsibility to act properly rested with the instructor, ethically, likely legally (depending on local laws), and PADI-wise.
She has no moral responsibility to respond to an unwelcome sexual advance? We disagree, I think a woman should be secure enough to convey her wishes. I’m not defending the instructor’s actions in this situation in any manner.

I said his actions were unprofessional. He actions were childlike. I don’t see a criminal situation. I expect people to act appropriately and not misuse their authority.
Sexual harassment is a crime. It’s not that complicated. If I go on public transportation and grope women or come up and grind against them, I am sexually harassing them whether they subsequently complain about it or not. Now imagine the same thing but the victim is underwater in a hostile environment she is unfamiliar with being taught a ‘skill’ she has no idea is routine or not by an apparent expert in this field.

Yeah she should have stopped him but that’s a lot easier to say in retrospect and changes nothing about the legality of the act.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom