Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am working on the NAUI scuba diver certification as I type this. I have completed a few resort dives, done some snuba diving in the cenotes and caves in Mexico, and been lucky enough to have a friend with the Historical Diving Society that has put me in an old Mark V, as well as showed me the world of commercial diving. I felt like I needed to understand more about the underwater world, as well as learning the basics of scuba, so I finally signed up for the certification. I have a trip planned to Barbados in July (will be a little change in water temp than Lake Champlain in May!), and would love to hear adventures from there, or things a new diver can accomplish/experience while there. If anyone is in the Lake Champlain area, I would love to hear about your experience diving in the northeast!

Eric

Hey Eric, welcome to SB and the world of diving. I have not had a chance to dive Lake C but you should look at diving Lake George, NY. In the warmer months June-Oct, the lake warms up and you can experience excellent vis - 40-60'. The nice thing about Lake Q is the thermocline drops in the warmer months and it can start deeper than most lakes so you can dive relatively deep without hitting the thermocline. I have been a couple times with Capt Frank/Halfmoon Marine Services and thoroughly enjoyed my dives.

Hey Eric, welcome to SB and the world of diving. I have not had a chance to dive Lake C but you should look at diving Lake George, NY. In the warmer months June-Oct, the lake warms up and you can experience excellent vis - 40-60'. The nice thing about Lake Q is the thermocline drops in the warmer months and it can start deeper than most lakes so you can dive relatively deep without hitting the thermocline. I have been a couple times with Capt Frank/Halfmoon Marine Services and thoroughly enjoyed my dives.

tkaelin -Thanks for the advice. I will check it out, and Capt Frank at Halfmoon Marine Services. I usually head down to the Hague area during the summer too (north end of Lake George), and stay at the Trout House Village Resort. I find that it's a little quieter than the south end of the lake. As a new diver, I had to google thermcline, but I definitely understand. Thanks for the tips!

There is also shore diving from Hearthstone Campground on Lake George. I have not been there yet to dive (driven past) but from what I read it is set up for shore diving and training in shallows. Might be worth a look as well. Good Luck.

howdy and welcome from south Florida..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom