A Primer to Diving Lake Champlain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I first looked into scuba diving in Lake Champlain, I found a dearth of information online. So, I just wanted to put down some information here for others who might be searching in the future.

Lake Champlain is home to over three hundred wrecks. A handful of these make up the Lake Champlain Underwater Historic Preserve System. Each of these sites are marked by a yellow mooring buoy. There is a dive shop in Burlington, Waterfront Diving Center (WDC), that runs boat charters to these sites from June through September. They do single-tank charters on Wednesday evenings and two-tank charters on the weekends. The single is $50, the double is $65-75 depending on the distance to the wrecks. You can rent tanks, weights, and anything else you need from WDC. The boat only fits six, so you need to book ahead of time.

These wrecks lie as shallow as 12ft and deep as 110ft. Visibility tends to be low, from 10ft in June to 30ft in September. You need a dive light. In addition, all it takes is one diver with poor buoyancy to stir up silt and make the visibility even worse. The water temperature can be quite chilly, especially as one goes deeper - I have experienced as low as 36 degrees Fahrenheit at 110ft. I dive in a 7mm wetsuit with a hood and gloves, but most people dive these wrecks in drysuits.

Based on the water temperature and visibility, I would not recommend Lake Champlain wreck diving for beginners (though you could do a shore dive at Oakledge or Perkin's Pier, albeit with not much to see). That being said, the diving is rather easy. You descend at the yellow buoy, fall the line down to a marker, and then follow the line along the bed until you reach the wreck. As long as you have a dive light, it would be very difficult to get lost.

Anyhow, that's just some information. There might be others on here who could add more.

I went diving there last year and really enjoyed the wrecks and Burlington itself. It makes for an enjoyable weekend. If anyone is interested in going, my dive club is headed back there in a few weeks and still has a few spots left.

www.seconndivers.org

Cheers

Orion

Dived Champlain with two of my kids (11 and 14 at the time) and some friends last September. All staff members at Waterfront Diving Center were very helpful and knowledgeable, and so was Cpt. Larry.

We did two shallow wrecks (my kids are OW so can't go very deep). Water Witch was great; can't say I enjoyed Horse Ferry as much but those spiked wheels are cool.

Here is my experience with Lake Champlain. I wouldn't necessarily call this a beginner dive though, however in the summer time, its still a great place to dive.

Dived Champlain with two of my kids (11 and 14 at the time) and some friends last September. All staff members at Waterfront Diving Center were very helpful and knowledgeable, and so was Cpt. Larry.

We did two shallow wrecks (my kids are OW so can't go very deep). Water Witch was great; can't say I enjoyed Horse Ferry as much but those spiked wheels are cool.

Good point @Scuba-74 ; in laying out the facts, I forgot to actually give any kind of review. WDC is lovely and I would highly recommend them to anybody (one of my friends used to work there, so I admit some bias, but still).

And damn @Lake Hickory Scuba , that looks awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom