--New to KAUAI--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Happy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Afternoon,

We will be heading to Kauai for vacation (Dive & Topside actv) but heard great things about Kona so we will visit that as well. I understand that there is a great book on the Big Island that members recommended, but would like to know if there is a book anyone may recommend on Kauai.

The trips will be 7days in each place with 6+ diver in early October. Interested in Diving, House vs Hotels, Land activ. etc..

Any helping hands would be wonderful...

Nat
:wave-smil

A book by Andrew Doughty

"The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Kauai Revealed"

You will get good insight on where to go, what to see and what to do, as well as places to not waste your time visiting. A really good read.

And yes they have books for all the islands just in case you are going somewhere else.

Good Afternoon,

I understand that there is a great book on the Big Island that members recommended,
Nat
:wave-smil

Mr Happy
What was the book that was recommended on the Big Island?

Johnny

A book by Andrew Doughty

"The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Kauai Revealed"

You will get good insight on where to go, what to see and what to do, as well as places to not waste your time visiting. A really good read.

And yes they have books for all the islands just in case you are going somewhere else.

Thank you very much Socaldiver.. I will check that out this weekend.

Nat

Mr Happy
What was the book that was recommended on the Big Island?

Johnny

Johnny,

I think it was the same co. "Big Island Revealed"

Nat

Aloha, Mr. Happy.

I live and dive here in Kauai so am happy to help provide info on what you guys might be looking for. As far as diving...for some awesome shore diving, check out aascuba.com - I work for this PADI dive resort and we will guarantee your group a great dive (ocean conditions, permitting of course). All of us have a minimum of 500 logged dives at the various sites - some of us have several thousand :O) Also, we keep all of our groups small so you get really personalized service and a fantastic guided tour. For boat diving, I recommend Fathom Five - they also keep the groups small and have great attention to detail. Ask for Anthony or Scott as your instructor!

Aloha, Mr. Happy.

I live and dive here in Kauai so am happy to help provide info on what you guys might be looking for. As far as diving...for some awesome shore diving, check out aascuba.com - I work for this PADI dive resort and we will guarantee your group a great dive (ocean conditions, permitting of course). All of us have a minimum of 500 logged dives at the various sites - some of us have several thousand :O) Also, we keep all of our groups small so you get really personalized service and a fantastic guided tour. For boat diving, I recommend Fathom Five - they also keep the groups small and have great attention to detail. Ask for Anthony or Scott as your instructor!

Thank you for the reply,

I just got the Kauai book this weekend and have not yet begin to read. We will be heading out early October with 6 divers or so 2 young kids (8months and 3year old), and my mom.

I wanted to stay on a nice beach for the kids, my mom and still deciding where to rent a condo. I want to be near a dive shop 30min or so, that we can dive in the morning and have time to venture land activities in the afternoon with the kids and mom.

We will be staying in Kauai for 2 weeks and want to explore the whole island. Would you suggest staying in Poipu?

Nat

No problem!

I definitely recommend staying in Poipu. Almost all of the resorts are within walking distance to some beach so the kids and mom can relax, boogie board and snorkel. I recommend finding something as close to Poipu Beach as possible. That is the most kid-friendly beach and has lots of nice, sandy stretches on which to relax and play. In fact, there is a special "cove" within Poipu Beach called "Baby Beach" where the really young ones can play in extremely calm, protected water and it is right next to a playground area.

We will probably be the closest dive shop to you in Poipu as we are within walking distance of Poipu Beach but in fairness, there are two other shops in the Poipu/Koloa area so we won't be your only choice :O) We'll be w/in a minute or two of you, the others will be w/in five-ten minutes of where you'll be staying.

Plenty of great AM diving with time to explore the island in the afternoon. We offer the earliest check-in time - 7:15AM - if you want to be one of the first in the water and wrap up early enough to have breakfast with the family.

Good luck w/your reading and planning. You should definitely consider a Napali Snorkel Trip as one of your activities if it is in the budget (I recommend Capt. Andy's) and for non-budget busters...Waimea Canyon is spectacular and Ke'e Beach all the way on the north shore is beautiful and if ocean conditions are good, it offers amazing vistas and great snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom