--New to KAUAI--

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for the info and tips!! Just wondering.. I dive with a full 3mm wetsuit and hood in the carrib. Will a 5mm fullsuit be enough in late October? I've heard that the water is cooler in Hawaii.

Thank you again for all the replies,
Nat

That whole series...Big Island Revealed, Kauai Revealed, etc...is GREAT. We always recommend it to our guests.

yes, thank you for the info on the book! We are thinking about kona as well for the first week in Hawaii but thought it may be too much for the 1 year old. Are there any calm sandy beaches for the young kids at Kona? I've heard that diving is also better than Kauai or at least the water conditions and marine life. I have not really started reading both books. Been bz with work and the kids won't give me any quite time.

-nat

I dive with a full 3mm wetsuit and hood in the carrib. Will a 5mm fullsuit be enough in late October? I've heard that the water is cooler in Hawaii.
Nat, Both my wife and I dive with full 3mm suits when in Hawaii. I’ve seen people get out of the water in full 7mm shivering like wet puppies and on the same dive, people in 3mm shortys or just bathing suits. Your tolerance to cold may be different.
...I recommend finding something as close to Poipu Beach as possible. That is the most kid-friendly beach and has lots of nice, sandy stretches on which to relax and play. In fact, there is a special "cove" within Poipu Beach called "Baby Beach" where the really young ones can play in extremely calm, protected water and it is right next to a playground area.
On my last trip to Kauai, I brought both of my grandkids (2 year old and 18mos old boys) and they LOVED Brennecke's Beach AKA Baby’s Beach. Poipu has some great condo rentals. There is a lot of new development going on now but it is still beautiful and very peaceful. The sunsets are amazing.
...…You should definitely consider a Napali Snorkel Trip
This is a must do activity for the first time visitor to Kauai.
The diving on Kauai is way underrated. Kona gets the headlines with the Manta’s but Kauai real has some world class dive sites as well. The turtles near Koloa and Sheraton Caverns are not to be missed. They are easy dives but well worth it.

Frankly I think Kauai is the best island for family vacations. Have a great time, take pictures and post them here when you return.

Hey Dave,

Thank very much on the info! I'm so looking forward after reading all the recommendations, yours as well.. I'm lost on finding a condo or house. We wanna be near the "Baby Beach" as much as we can.. Where can I go to look or search on the web on rental props? I've been reading (Vrbo.com and Kauairentals?)

Again, thank you!!
Nat

If you are still looking, Suite Paradise has a bunch of vacation rentals located right near Poipu Beach Park, and the Marriott Waiohai Vacation Club is also right next to it. I've had friends rent through Suite Paradise and their condo was a little outdated but very clean and right next to the beach - awesome sunset views every night.

Scuba Girl... my wife and I will be visiting from Oahu in the next couple months. We'd really like to dive Lehua while we're there and have been looking at reviews for Fathom Five and Bubbles Below... what're your thoughts?

Also, does anyone dive Na'pali? Are there any good sites there? Or how about this: if we were going to do one other dive (in addition to Lehua) what should we do? We'll probably only be there for a long weekend.

Thanks!

I will be doing my OW dives at Tunnel's Beach is 2 weeks. I hear that it is great, weather permitting of course. I've never been there though.

Back
Top Bottom