New Thermals or Layer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a quick question if I may...

I've got the USIA Exotherm II undies and they are great so far but I noticed on the website for USIA that they are rated down to 55F. Not so much a concern now but later in the year I will be doing regular dives in the low 40sF with no thermocline.

I'm new to DrySuit diving but was wandering should I just buy something like the DUI Actionwear 200g jumpsuit and wear it under my Exotherm II? or should I get something like the 400g DUI Thinsulate Ultra?

I haven't settled on these particular thermals I just used them as an example.

Like I said I'm totally new to Drysuit diving so I need the advice of thoes who have "been there, done that, got the T-shirt". I don't need to throw money away:D.

Another thing I thought was that if I layered thermals then I would have a undie for warmer water, one (Exotherm II) for cooler water, then layer the two and have thermals for cold water. Am I way off on this thought?

Thanks for advice in advance.

Jeremy

Layering works fine. Use what you have now and when it gets too cold for you then add on some thermal underwear under your current undergarment.

That's going to save a lot of money.

Layering is good.

I'm wearing a Bare T-100 and long polypro underwear under my 7mm neoprene drysuit and it's getting too warm in 47F water. I will need to back off on something soon.

Pete

Our waters very up to FIFTY DEGREES from the coldest winter temps to the warmest summer temps, so layering isn't an option, it's a must do.

I like layering.

Thanks everyone, it appears that layering is the way to go or at least is a viable option that is tried and true!

I already have a set of the hunting/camping polypro base layer underware. I think I will start there and order some of the Carol Davis type 2 Polartec Powerstretch undies also. They seem to be used by outdoorsmen, hunters, fisherman, etc for a multitude of purposes so they would pull double duty for both diving and winter camping.

Thanks everyone,
Jeremy

JKSteger:
I think I will start there and order some of the Carol Davis type 2 Polartec Powerstretch undies

I think that's a good company and I've heard lots of good things about them. So much so that I'll probably buy some of the same stuff later this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom