New Taxes Revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still not enough to effect a decision in my view. As a % of the total cost of the trip its minimal.
That was obvious from your lack of interest in even reading about the fees and I am sure many others do not worry about money but over the years, Roatan and the Bay Islands were often considered one of the cheaper places to visit, Now with some of the highest airfares for a caribbean destination the fees will catch up for many, the other issue is all this money comming in from Bay Islands tourism goes to the mainland, very little ever finds its way back.This will also play a part with all those who already pay just to volunteer to help with medical and other organizations across the mainland.? Heck, Gas prices now are only about twenty cents a gallon more than they were last year at this time and while many can still spend what they want, many more are looking for more economical solutions, $80 or so dollars may just be the proverbial straw for many. The current departure total is already one of the highest to be found before even adding the new $34

A week trip to Roatan budgets out at about $3k with airfare from my location. $34 is about a 1% increase. Amortized over 52 weeks, you are talking about 65 cents per week, or less than a cup of coffee or soda at 7/11 for the proposed port tax increase. I can give up a soda a week if its the breaking point on Roatan without too much trouble.

Hell no, doubling the exposed taxes is not going to make a big difference in decisions. It's just an insulting, greedy grab. One more time: "You're a tourist with money so you pay more."

That was obvious from your lack of interest in even reading about the fees and I am sure many others do not worry about money but over the years, Roatan and the Bay Islands were often considered one of the cheaper places to visit, Now with some of the highest airfares for a caribbean destination the fees will catch up for many, the other issue is all this money comming in from Bay Islands tourism goes to the mainland, very little ever finds its way back.This will also play a part with all those who already pay just to volunteer to help with medical and other organizations across the mainland.? Heck, Gas prices now are only about twenty cents a gallon more than they were last year at this time and while many can still spend what they want, many more are looking for more economical solutions, $80 or so dollars may just be the proverbial straw for many. The current departure total is already one of the highest to be found before even adding the new $34

And it will effect decisions in the long run. As you said Roatan used to be considered one of the less expensive places to visit, the travel media gradually picks up things and they will write about a destination in regard to how costly it is to visit it, that will change in what you read about Roatan and that will effect tourism.

A week trip to Roatan budgets out at about $3k with airfare from my location..

Great, You can spend all kinds of money on your dive trips, The point is this extra fee is imposed on everyone, Not just those as wealthy as you who do not worry about extra expense, thousands travel to the mainland to help and sure, many are not doing a whole lot but there are many that want to do what they can to help third world people, If you just look at it from a tourist POV then of course your correct but you seem to ignore all the others that try to help those that cannot even afford three meals a day or those who are not planning a three thousand dollar week of vacation

Hi

I just received this from the tourist board here in Honduras

"Just to inform you officially on behalf of the Minister, Ms. Nelly Jerez, that the new airport security Tax that was announced in all the local Honduran newspapers this past weekend of $17.00 for entry and $17.00 for departure for all international travelers, will not be implemented! The President of Honduras has vetoed the process!"

This is certainly the first time I have been told that leaving more money in a third world country has a negative effect on the poor there. I have to wonder if the veto of the port tax will lead to higher taxes on the people most at risk.

Great, You can spend all kinds of money on your dive trips, The point is this extra fee is imposed on everyone, Not just those as wealthy as you who do not worry about extra expense, thousands travel to the mainland to help and sure, many are not doing a whole lot but there are many that want to do what they can to help third world people, If you just look at it from a tourist POV then of course your correct but you seem to ignore all the others that try to help those that cannot even afford three meals a day or those who are not planning a three thousand dollar week of vacation

This is certainly the first time I have been told that leaving more money in a third world country has a negative effect on the poor there. I have to wonder if the veto of the port tax will lead to higher taxes on the people most at risk.

And you actually think any taxes paid will make it to the poor? Do you want to buy some property? Let me know. Especially when these taxes were proposed to be paid to a washington DC based company

LOL, Taxes and fees helping the poor, Thats a good one

Oh I'm not dumb enough to think the taxes would make it to the poor, my thought was they'd just tax the poor instead.

Since you list 2 locations, this tax obviusly effects you and you are upset about it. For the annual visitor, its not a big deal. You might notice I am a pilot and I fly to Carribean locations. Many of the fees you dont see in your airfare costs I pay directly. I've learned not to get upset over it.

And you actually think any taxes paid will make it to the poor? Do you want to buy some property? Let me know. Especially when these taxes were proposed to be paid to a washington DC based company

LOL, Taxes and fees helping the poor, Thats a good one

Oh I'm not dumb enough to think the taxes would make it to the poor, my thought was they'd just tax the poor instead. .
Don't sell yourself short, Your previous posts on this subject do not support this, I think you are dumb enough until someone points out how dumb a post is

Since you list 2 locations, this tax obviusly effects you and you are upset about it. For the annual visitor, its not a big deal. You might notice I am a pilot and I fly to Carribean locations. Many of the fees you dont see in your airfare costs I pay directly. I've learned not to get upset over it.

This tax would effect everyone travelling, So your a pilot, whoopie doopie, whats that matter ? Now once agin maybe you have not read as it was previously mentioned this new fee, like the airport fee, would not be implemented ,

Back
Top Bottom